Q1. Who among the following leaders was instrumental in the formation of the Congress Socialist Party?
(a) P.C. Joshi
(b) Subhas Chandra Bose
(c) Acharya Narendra Dev
(d) Ram Manohar Lohia
Q2. Who of the following was associated with the August Offer?
(b) Lord Irwin
(c) Lord Linlithgow
(d) Lord Mountbatten
Q3. Who among the following had repealed the Vernacular Press Act?
(b) Lord Ripon
(c) Lord Dufferin
(d) Lord Lansdowne
Q4. Which one of the following with regard to the Poona Pact, 1932 is not correct?
(b) Reservation of seats for the depressed classes in the provincial legislature
(c) Acceptance of joint electorate system
(d) Reservation of seats for the depressed classes in the central legislature
Q5. The author describes the safety-valve thesis as a myth because
(b) the author has concluded that in the light of available materials the thesis does not hold ground.
(c) the congress was a nationalist organization right from the start.
(d) the violent anti-colonial movements did not come to an end with the foundation of the congress.
Q6. Identify the correct sequence of the following events of Indian history:
1. Foundation of the Indian Muslim League
2. Surat Split
3. Partition of Bengal
4. Transfer of capital from Calcutta to Delhi Select the correct answer using the
code given below:
(b) 2 – 3 – 4 – 1
(c) 3 – 1 – 2 – 4
(d) 4 – 3 – 2– 1
Q7. Why did Gandhiji go to Champaran?
(b) To launch a non-cooperation movement
(c) To enquire into the grievances of the indigo cultivators
(d) To fight against the zamindars
Q8. Consider the following statement No Indian could have started the Indian National congress.. If the founder of the congress had not been a great Englishman and a distinguished ex-official, such was the distrust of political agitation in those days that the authority would have at once found some way or the other to suppress the movement. Who among the following gave the statement on the establishment of Indian National Congress?
(b) G.K Gokhale
(c) R. Palme Dutt
(d) Allan Octavian Hume
Q9. Which one of the following political theories advocates the “Dictatorship of Proletariat”?
(b) Fabian socialism
Q10. According to Karl Marx, attainment of communism is possible only after
(a) resolution of tension between the leader and led
(b) completion of permanent revolution
(c) emergence of exploitation-free society
(d) disappearance of difference between urban and rural areas
Q11. Consider the following statements in respect of temperate cyclones:
1. They rise in the belt of trade winds.
2. They move from west to east.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) Only 1
(b) Only 2
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
Q12. Which one of the following pairs of oceans and currents is not correctly?
(a) North Atlantic Ocean: Canaries current
(b) Eastern Pacific Ocean: Kuroshio current
(c) South Atlantic Ocean: Falkland current
(d) Indian Ocean: Agulhas current
Q13. In which one of the following region are the Andes mountains located?
(a) East Europe
(b) West Europe
(c) South Africa
(d) South America
Q14. Sunda Trench lies in
(a) Atlantic Ocean
(b) Pacific Ocean
(c) Indian Ocean
(d) Antarctic Ocean
Q15. Which one of the following is different in local time between the places located at 165° East and 165° West?
(a) 0 hours
(b) 12 hours
(c) 22 hours
(d) 24 hours
1. (c) 2. (c) 3. (b) 4. (a) 5. (d) 6. (c) 7. (c) 8. (d) 9. (d) 10. (c) 11. (b) 12. (b) 13. (d) 14. (a) 15. (b)
1. Acharya Narendra Dev, Jay Prakash Narayan and Minoo Massani was instrumental in the formation of the Congress Socialist Party in 1934.
4. The Poona pact is a historical agreement between Dr. B.R. Ambedkar and Mahatma Gandhi. It took place in 1932. Under this pact, it was decided for depressed classes to have a reserve seats both in provincial and central legislature. Similarly, a joint electorate system was accepted.
6. The correct sequence is 3-1-2-4 which is option
7. Gandhiji went to Champaran to inquire into the grievances of indigo cultivators.
10. Marx argued that socio-economic change occurred through organized revolutionary action. He argued that capitalism will end through the organized actions of an international working class: “Communism is for us not a state of affairs which is to be established, an ideal to which reality will have to adjust itself”.
11. Half the water vapour in the air in atmosphere lies below an altitude of 2 kilometer and 90 per cent of water vapour lies below an altitude of 5 kilometer. Amount of precipitable water in atmosphere increases from the poles to the equator.
13. Sedimentary rocks are formed from sediments that have been pressed together. Sediments may come from plant or animal remains, from minerals that were once dissolved in water, or form large rocks that have been broken up into smaller pieces by water, wind or ice. Igneous rocks are rocks formed from molten rock material as it cools and hardens.
14. Areas that have higher air pressure than the surrounding area are called anticyclones.
15. Tropic of cancer is situated in 23°27’ N or 1 23 N. 2 °