Q1. Doldrums are characterized by
(a) uniform low pressure
(b) uniform high pressure
(c) high wind velocity
(d) low humidity
Q2. Unlike other Meridians International Date Line is drawn zigzag in order to
(b) facilitate the sailors to adjust time in their watch
(c) adjust the day in calendar while sailing from east to west and vice versa
(d) make 180°E and 180°W coterminous
Q3. Which one among the following is the best reason for the marked increase in the agricultural production in India in the past decades?
(b) Conversion of barren land into agricultural land
(c) Use of improved agricultural methods and technologies
(d) Priority status given by the successive governments to agricultural sector over the industry sector
Q4. 117. Which of the following statements is/ are correct?
1. The major constituent mineral of granite rock is quartz.
2. The major constituent mineral of sandstone rock is feldspar.
3. The major constituent mineral of limestone rock is dolomite. Select the correct answer using the
code given below:
(b) 3 only
(c) 1 and 2 only
(d) 2 and 3 only
Q5. Where do you find the Isle of Youth?
(b) Near Bahamas
(c) Near Jamaica
(d) Near Saint Lucia
Q6. Which of the following statements relating to tsunami is/ are correct? As the tsunamis leave the deep water of the open sea and travel towards shallow water
1. the speed considerably
2. they attain enormous height is reduced
3. they appear as a gentle rise and fall of the sea Select the correct answer using the
code given below.
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
Q7. Match List-I (Type of Rocks) with List-II (Example) and select the correct answer using the
codes given below the Lists: List-I (Type of Rocks) List-II (Example)
A. Igneous Rocks ———–1. Basalt and Granite
B. Metamorphic Rocks ———–2. Limestone and Sandstone
C. Sedimentary Rocks ———–3. Marble and Quartzite
Codes: ABC A B C
(b) 1 3 2
(c) 2 3 1
(d) 3 1 2
Q8. Consider the following statements:
1. In the coastal regions, the land breeze blows over to the sea during night.
2. In the coastal regions, during night, the air over the sea is warmer than the air over land.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) Only 1
(b) Only 2
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
Q9. Which one among the following states has more population than the other three?
(b) Madhya Pradesh
Q10. India is comparatively not rich in which one of the following minerals compared to the other three?
Q11. Which one of the following types of forest covers the maximum area in India?
(a) Tropical rain forest
(b) Tropical moist deciduous forest
(c) Tropical dry deciduous forest
(d) Tropical dry evergreen forest
Q12. Iron ore from Kudremukh is most likely to be exported through
Q13. Which one among the following is not a reason for practising tank irrigation in Peninsular India?
(a) The undulating relief and hard rocks
(b) Little percolation of rain water due to impervious rock structure
(c) Most of the rivers of Peninsular India are perennial
(d) There are many streams which become torrential during rainy season
Q14. The Damuda series of Gondwana system has three stages, namely, Raniganj, Barren Rocks and Barakar. The middle stage is called Barren because
(a) it consists of coal and not iron
(b) it consists of iron and not coal
(c) it consists of neither coal nor iron
(d) it is a sedimentary layer consisting of shale and clay
Q15. Which among the following areas is conducive for well irrigation?
(a) Rocky land uneven surface of Peninsular India
(b) Dry tracts of Rajsthan and Gujarat
(c) Brackish groundwater region of Uttar Pradesh
(d) Geltaic regions of Mahanadi, Godavari and Krishna
1. (a) 2. (a) 3. (c) 4. (c) 5. (a) 6. (b) 7. (b) 8. (c) 9. (b) 10. (b) 11. (c) 12. (c) 13. (c) 14. (b) 15. (d)
1. The daily range of temperature decreases on proceeding equator to poles.
2. In 1906, Montessus de Bailore described the earthquakes and their characteristics within a specific region. It generally occurs by subduction of pacific plate under Asiatic plate and triggered a series of devastating Tsunamis.
3. Eastern Himalaya is located between central Nepal in the west to Myanmar in the east. Makalu is the fifth highest mountain in the world in Nepal at 8,481 metres. Kanchenjunga as is the third highest mountain in the world located along the IndiaNepal border in the Himalaya. Namcha Barwa is a mountain of the Tibetan Himalaya. Mt. Everest is the world highest mountain with a peak at 8,848 metres.
4. Cyclones are moving bodies of air in an enclosed area rotating in the same direction as earth. The air inside the cyclone moves anticlockwise in the Northern Hemisphere.
5. A hurricane is a type of tropical cyclone or severe tropical storm that forms in the southern Atlantic Ocean, Caribbean Sea, Gulf of Mexico, and in the eastern Pacific Ocean. A typical cyclone is accompanied by thunderstorms, and in the Northern Hemisphere, a counterclockwise circulation of winds near the earth’s surface.
8. Land heats and cools more rapidly than the sea. During the day the land gets heated and the air over the land being hotter and lighter than that over the sea, a low pressure area is created over the land.The hot air rises and cool air from the see ruches in towards the land, which is referred as sea breeze.At night the land rapidly loses its heat faster than the sea. The air over the sea is therefore warmer and lighter than over the land and a breeze blows but from the land towards the sea.
9. Population of these states is in chronological order is as follows: Madhya Pradesh 48,577,242 > Rajashtan 44,005,990 > Gujrat 41,309,582 > Orissa 31,659736
10. India is deficient in copper ores and thus depends to a large extent on imports. USA, Russia, Chile, Zambia are its largest producer. In India Copper is mined in Khetri complex in Rajasthan, Kho-Dhariba area.
11. Tropical dry deciduous forests run from the Himalayan foot hills to Kanyakumari and comprise important trees like bijasal, teak, tendu, amaltas, khair, palas, rosewood and axlewood.
12. Iron ore from Kudremukh is most likely to be exported through Mangalore.
14. In the Damodar series of Gondwana system Raniganj and Barakar has coal reserves whereas Barren Rocks have iron reserves.
15. Deltaic regions of Mahanadi, Godavari and Krishna are conducive to well irrigation. The rain-water sinks down easily in the areas where the soil is soft and porous. So water is available at a lower depth when wells are dug and it helps irrigation.