Q1. Cloudy nights are warmer than clear nights because of
(a) greenhouse effect
(b) depletion of ozone layer
(d) terrestrial radiation
Q2. Consider the following statements regarding Andaman and Nicobar Islands
I. It enjoys equatorial climate
II. This is the only place in India where a volcano is located
III. This is the only place in India where coral bed is found
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(b) I and II only
(c) II and III only
(d) I only
Q3. What is the general direction of cyclones formed in the Bay of Bengal?
(b) West to East
(c) West to South
(d) North to South
Q4. Rain shadow effect is associated with
(b) Orographic rainfall
(c) Convectional rainfall
(d) Frontal rainfall
Q5. The largest number of temperate cyclones originate mostly over the
(b) North Atlantic Ocean
(c) North Pacific Ocean
(d) Arctic Ocean
Q6. Which of the following statements regarding hurricanes is/are correct?
1. They develop over the ocean between 8° – 15° N.
2. They are almost absent in the South Atlantic Ocean.
3. They do not develop close to the equator. Select the correct answer using the
code given below.
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
Q7. Statement I: Oxidation in our body cells releases dangerous free radicals.
Statement II: Our body itself produces antioxidants to neutralise harmful free radicals.
(b) Both the statements ‘are individually true but Statement II is not the correct explanation of Statement I.
(c) Statement I is true but Statement II is false.
(d) Statement I is false but Statement II is true.
Q8. Which one of the following pairs is not correctly matched? Town River
(b) Surat Tapi
(c) Vijaywada Krishna
(d) Vishakhapatnam Godavari
Q9. Match List-I with List-II and select the correct answer using the
codes given below the lists: List-I (Mineral Ore) List-II(Location)
A. Bauxite ———–1. Kolhapur
B. Iron ———–2. Mayurbhanj
C. Manganese ———–3. Nellore
D. Mica ———–4. Shimoga
Codes: ABCD A B C D
(a) 3 4 2 1
(b) 1 2 4 3
(c) 3 2 4 1
(d) 1 4 2 3
Q10. From West to East, which one of the following is the correct sequence of Hills?
(a) Mahadeo Hills—Maikala Hills—Garhjat Hills
(b) Mahadeo Hills—Garhjat Hills—Maikala Hills
(c) Maikala Hills—Mahadeo Hills—Garhjat Hills
(d) Maikala Hills—Garhjat Hills—Mahadeo Hills
Q11. Among the following, which state has highest level of literacy?
(b) West Bengal
Q12. Match List-I with List-II and select the correct answer using the
code given below the Lists List I-(Institute) List-II (Location)
A. Petrochemicals ———–1. Ranchi
B. Aluminium ———–2. Hyderabad
C. Electronics ———–3. Varodara
D. Heavy Engineering ———–4. Koraput
Codes: A B C D
(a) 3 4 2 1
(b) 1 2 4 3
(c) 3 2 4 1
(d) 1 4 2 3
Q13. Which among the following statements provides the best evidence that a river is flowing through a rift valley?
(a) The Chambal valley is marked by bad land topography
(b) River Tapi does not have Delta but Estuary only
(c) River Mahanadi flows through a gorge at Satkosia
(d) River Colorado has the Grand Canyon along its valley
Q14. Match List-I with List-II and select the correct answer using the
code given below the Lists: List-I List-II (Port) (Special feature)
A. Kandla ———–1. Deepest landlocked protected port
B. Kochi ———–2. Located at mouth of lagoon
C. Vishakhapatnam ———–3. Tidal port
D. Kolkata ———–4. Inland riverine port
(a) A B C D 3 1 2 4
(b) A B C D 3 2 1 4
(c) A B C D 4 1 2 3
(d) A B C D 4 2 1 3
Q15. The Nokrek biosphere reserve is located in
(a) Arunachal Pradesh
1. (c) 2. (c) 3. (a) 4. (c) 5. (c) 6. (a) 7. (b) 8. (d) 9. (b) 10. (a) 11. (a) 12. (a) 13. (d) 14. (b) 15. (d)
1. The earth’s crust is the thinnest at mid-oceanic ridges.
2. EL Nino, an unusual warning of surface ocean waters in the eastern tropical Pacific is the part of southern oscillation. Scientists do not know exactly how El Nino forms. It is said that El Nino may have contributed to the 1993 Mississipi and 1995 California floods. The average period length of EL Nino is 5 years.
3. Spring tides occur when the sun and moon are directly in line with the earth and their gravitational pulls reinforce each other, consequently a great flood or rush as of emotion.
4. El Nino is a cold water current which runs along the coast of Peru and Chile. It is also a climate pattern which occurs every five years.
5. Grain farming is very labor intensive so peasant concentration is more in those places.
6. For the poles latitude = 90° and for equator latitude = 0°. Latitude at a point on the surface of the earth is defined as the angle, which the line joining that point to the centre of earth makes with equatorial plane.
7. Since United Kingdom, Norway, Netherland and Denmark are located on the coast, their temperature is higher than the places located on similar latitudes during the winter.
8. Godawari river not flows from Vishakhapatnam, Sileru river forms its outer border. Viyawada is a big city.
10. From West to East The sequence of Hills: Nanda Devi Hills — Maikala Hills — Grahjat hills
11. Mizoram is one of the seven sister states in Northeastern India on the border with Myanmar. Its population at the 2001 census stood at 888,573. Mizoram’s 90.27 per cent literacy rate is the second highest among Indian states after Kerala.
12. Vadodara-Petrochemicals, Koraput-Aluminium, Hyderabad-Electronics and Ranchi-Heavy Engineering.
13. The Colorado river is the primary river of the American Southwest. The original name of this river is Rio Colorado or Red River by the Spanish.
14. Kandla-tidal port, Kochi-located at mouth of lagoon, Vishakhapatnam-deepest land-locked protected port, Kolkata-inland riverine port.
15. The Nokrek biosphere reserve is located in Meghalaya.