Q1. Consider the following:
1. Bardoli Satyagraha
2. Champaran Satyagraha
3. Rowlatt Satyagraha Which one of the following is the correct chronological order of the above?
(a) 2 – 3 – 1
(b) 3 – 2 – 1
(c) 2 -1 – 3
(d) 1 – 2 – 3
Q2. Which one among the following was fought earliest?
(b) Battle of Buxar
(c) Battle of Plassey
(d) Battle of Wandiwash
Q3. What is the correct sequence of the following?
1. Wavell Plan
2. Radcliff Award
3. Cripps Mission
4. Cabinet Mission Select the correct answer using the
code given below:
(a) 1, 2, 3, 4
(b) 3, 1, 4, 2
(c) 2, 1, 3, 4
(d) 3, 4, 1, 2
Q4. The Government of India Act, 1935 was based on
(a) the principle of federation and parliamentary system
(b) the principle of secession of the British Indian provinces
(c) acceptance of independence of India
(d) acceptance of the idea of a constituent assembly to draft a constitution
Q5. The core of the safety-valve thesis rests on the assumption that
(a) a violent anti-colonial revolution was bound to occur unless a constitutional platform like the congress was founded.
(b) the congress would assist the British in administering the colony.
(c) the congress leaders would constitute the colonial elite.
(d) the congress as a party would assist the colonial rulers to implement political and social reforms.
Q6. Neel Darpan is a play based on the story of Indigo Rebellion of Bengal of 1860 –61. Who authored it?
(a) Dinabandhu Mitra
(b) Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyaya
(c) Sisir Kumar Ghosh and Motilal Ghosh jointly
(d) Madhusudan Dutta
Q7. Which one among the following was the fundamental cause of the first Karnataka War between the British and the French?
(a) Participation of the English and the French in the native politics of Karnataka
(b) The ambition of Dupleix to drive out the English from the South
(c) The trade rivalry between the English and the French
(d) The war of Austrian succession because of which Britain and France became each others enemy in every part of the world
Q8. Consider the following statements: (1) Gandhiji’s Salt Satyagraha in 1930 was against the State monopoly of the manufacture and sale fo salt. (2) The American news magazine Time’ covered the progress of Gandhiji’s walk to Dandi on the Salt Satyagraha. (3) The Vicerory of India at the time of the Salt Satyagraha was Lord Ripon. (4) Gandhiji did not complete the Dandi March due to illhealth.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1, 2 and 3
(c) 2 only
(d) 1 and 2 only
Q9. Who authored the Declaration of Independence (USA)?
(a) George Washington
(b) Benjamin Franklin
(c) Thomas Jefferson
(d) Calvin Coolidge
Q10. “No Taxation without Representation” was the popular slogan of
(a) Indian freedom struggle
(b) American war of independence
(c) Russian revolution
(d) French revolution
Q11. Which one of the following experiences the least annual range of temperature?
(b) Tropic of Cancer
(c) Tropic of Capricorn
(d) Arctic Circle
Q12. Savanna natural region is characterized by which one of the following?
(a) A distinct wet and dry season with annual range of temperature between 3°C – 8°C
(b) Broad-leaf evergreen forests and grasses
(c) Uniformly high temperature throughout the year
(d) No spatial variation in mean annual rainfall
Q13. Which one of the following soils is most suitable for cotton cultivation?
(a) Red soil
(b) Black soil
(c) Loamy soil
(d) Laterite soil
Q14. If there are four place on the same meridian 500 km apart and the local time at one place is 12.00 noon, what will be the time at the three other places?
(a) 12.00 noon
(b) 1.00 pm
(c) 2.00 pm
(d) Different time at different places
Q15. In which one of the following is a great dark plain called “Maria” found?
1. (a) 2. (a) 3. (b) 4. (a) 5. (a) 6. (a) 7. (d) 8. (d) 9. (c) 10. (b) 11. (d) 12. (c) 13. (a) 14. (d) 15. (d)
1. The correct chromological order and year is as follows: Champaran Satyagraha – 1917 Rowlatt Satyagraha – 1919 Bardoli Satyagraha – 1928
4. The Government of India Act, 1935 was based on the principle of federation and parliamentary system.
6. Neel Darpan also called the mirror of Indigo was written by Dinabandhu Mitra about the Indigo Revolt of 1859.
7. The First Carnatic War (1746-1748) was the Indian theatre of the War of the Austrian Succession and the first of a series of Carnatic Wars that established early British dominance on the east coast of the Indian subcontinent. In this conflict the British and French East India Companies vied with each other on land for control of their respective trading posts at Madras, Pondicherry, and Cuddalore, while naval forces of France and Britain engaged each other off the coast.
8. The Salt March, also mainly known as the Salt Satyagraha, began with the Dandi March on March 12, 1930, and was an important part of the Indian independence movement. It was a direct action campaign of tax resistance and nonviolent protest against the British salt monopoly in colonial India, and triggered the wider Civil Disobedience Movement. This was the most significant organized challenge to British authority since the Non-cooperation movement of 1920- 22, and directly followed the Purna Swaraj declaration of independence by the Indian National Congress on January 26, 1930. Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi (commonly called Mahatma Gandhi) led the Dandi march from his base, Sabarmati Ashram near Ahmadabad, to the sea coast near the village of Dandi. As he continued on this 24 day, 240 mile (390 km) march to produce salt without paying the tax, growing numbers of Indians joined him along the way. When Gandhi broke the salt laws at 6:30 am on April 6, 1930, it sparked large scale acts of civil disobedience against the British Raj salt laws by millions of Indians. The campaign had a significant effect on changing world and British attitude towards Indian independence and caused large numbers of Indians to join the fight for the first time.
9. American declared their independence in 1776. George Washington became the first president of America.
10. The American war of Independence (1756-63) ended European control of both North and south America.
11. Temperatre cyclone rises in middle latitude between 35° and 65° latitudes. This region is the belt of western winds.
12. Ocean currents are streams of water crossing the ocean in the direction of prevailing winds.
13. Andes mountains are located in the western part of South America, streth for about 7200 kilometers from Venezuela in the north to Tierra del Fuego in the south.
15. The places located at 165° east and 165° west has 12 hours difference in local time.