Q1. Glaciated regions are associated with
(a) V-shaped valley
(b) U-shaped valley
(c) sand dunes
Q2. The time difference between the two cities city A (30′ N 60′ E) and city B (30′ N 80′ B) would be
(b) 0 min
(c) 20 min
(d) 34 min
Q3. Which of the following statements regarding the Deccan Traps is/are correct?
1. Intense volcanic activity in the form of fissure eruption took place towards the end of Cretaceous period.
2. The volcanic lava spread out in horizontal sheets.
3. The regur soil found here is rich in nitrogen. Select the correct answer using the
codes given below
(b) 1, 2 and 3
(c) 3 only
(d) 1 only
Q4. Which one among the following is a primary rock?
(d) None of the above
Q5. The Suez Canal, the Strait of Hormuz and the Strait of Gibraltar are important because they
(b) prohibit the movement of ships carrying nuclear weapons
(c) unite Russian access to warm water points
(d) control access to vital trade routes
Q6. The President of India is elected by proportional representative system by a single transferable vote. This implies that
(b) all MPs and MLAs of States have one vote each
(c) all MPs and MLAs of States have equal number of votes
(d) MPs of the Lok Sabha have equal number of votes
Q7. In India, in which one of the following areas are the tropical evergreen forests found?
(b) The Eastern Ghats
(c) The Western Himalaya
(d) The Central Himalaya
Q8. In the map given above, what is the population density in the region represented by the shaded area?
(a) Below 100 persons per sq. km
(b) 100 to 300 persons per sq. km
(c) 300 to 500 persons per sq. km
(d) Above 500 persons per sq. km
List I with List II and select the correct answer using the
code given below the Lists: List-l List-II (Mineral) (Mine)
A. Bauxite ———–1. Balaghat
B. Copper ———–2. Korba
C. Iron ore ———–3. Singareni
D. Coal ———–4. Keonjhar
Codes: ABCD A B C D
(a) 2 4 1 3
(b) 3 1 4 2
(c) 3 4 1 2
(d) 2 1 4 3
Q10. Among the following, which one has recorded the highest population growth rate during 1991-2001?
(a) Arunachal Pradesh
Q11. Which one of the following rivers flow between Vindhyan and Satpura ranges?
Q12. Match List-I with List-II and select the correct answer using the
code given below the Lists: List-I List-II (Type of vegetation) (State)
A. Mangrove ——-1 Madhya Pradesh
B. Scrub————- 2 Karnataka
C. Teak ————–3 Rajasthan
D. Coniferous —– 4 Arunachal Pradesh
Code: A B C D
(a) 4 1 3 2
(b) 2 1 3 4
(c) 4 3 1 2
(d) 2 3 1 4
Q13. 84. Identify from the following states of India through which the Tropic of Cancer passes and arrange them from East to West.
2. West Bengal
2. Uttar Pradesh
4. Jharkhand5. Madhya Pradesh6. Bihar7. Chhattisgarh Select the correct answer using the
codes given below.
Q14. Match List-I with List-II and select the correct answer using the
code given below the Lists: List-I List-II (Mountain pass) (State)
A. Zoji La ———–1. Himachal Pradesh
B. Lipulekh ———–2. Sikkim
C. Shipki La ———–3. Uttarakhand
D. Nathu La ———–4. Jammu and Kashmir
(a) A B C D 2 1 3 4
(b) A B C D 2 3 1 4
(c) A B C D 4 1 3 2
(d) A B C D 4 3 1 2
Q15. In India, increase in population and diversion of agricultural land for non-agricultural purposes have resulted in the decrease of
(a) forested land
(b) cultivable wasteland
(c) net sown area
(d) double-cropped area
1. (b) 2. (a) 3. (b) 4. (b) 5. (d) 6. (b) 7. (a) 8. (b) 9. (b) 10. (c) 11. (a) 12. (c) 13. (b) 14. (d) 15. (c)
1. Doldrums is the name for the equatorial belt of low pressure lying between 5° south and 5° North latitude.
2. The International Date line is an imaginary line which go through the North pole to the South pole. It is 180º away from the Greenwich Meridian.
3. The Deccan Traps are a large igneous province, one of the largest volcanic features on Earth. It is located on the Deccan Plateau of west-central India.
4. Limestone is composed of mineral calcite and aragonite which are different forms of calcium carbonate. Limestones may be formed from skeletons of corals and foraminifera. It is a sedimentary rock easily soluble in water.
5. Isla de la Juventud also known as Isle of Youth is the second-largest Cuban island and the seventh-largest island in the West Indies. The island was called the Isle of Pines until it was renamed in 1978.
6. Tsunami waves do not resemble normal sea waves, because their wavelength is far longer. Rather than appearing as a breaking wave, a tsunami may instead initially resemble a rapidly rising tide, and for this reason they are often referred to as tidal waves. Tsunamis generally consist of a series of waves with periods ranging from minutes to hours, arriving in a so-called “wave train”. Wave heights of tens of metres can be generated by large events. Although the impact of tsunamis is limited to coastal areas, their destructive power can be enormous and they can affect entire ocean basins.
8. Population density is defined as the number of persons per square kilometre. In 2001, the density of population in India was 324 persons per kilomtre. Shaded area shows the regions of Madhya Pradesh Chattisgarh and Orissa.
9. Minerals Bauxite: Palamu (Jharkhand) Kaira (Gujarat), Kanti, Jabalpur (M.P.) salem (Tamilnadu), Kolhapur (Maharashtra) Copper: Singhbum, Hazaribagh (Jharkhand), Khetri Alwer, Bhilwara, Jhunhunu, Sirohi (Rajasthan) Coal: Raniganj (West Bengal) Thariya, Bokaro, Giridiih (Jharkhand), Desgarh, Talcher (Orissa) Singreni (A.P.) Iron Ore: Sanai, Mayurbhanj, Keonjhar (Orissa), Singhbhum, Hazaribagh, Palamau (Jharkhand).
10. Highest population growth rate during 1991 to 2001 in Nagaland.
12. Mangrove, Scrub, teak and coniferous are the various types of vegetations found in Karnataka, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh and Arunachal Pradesh respectively.
14. Zoji La-Jammu-Kashmir, Lipulekh-Uttaranchal, Shipki La-Himachal Pradesh, Nathu La-Sikkim.
15. Second largest population in the world, third largest economy, fourth largest agricultural sector. In reference to India, superlatives abound. And yet, 400 million Indians live on less than a dollar a day, 212 million are undernourished and the United Nations Development Programme has ranked India 127th (out of 177) in terms of the human development index.