All-women crew of Navika Sagar Parikrama expedition reaches Fremantle
• INSV Tarini carrying all-women crew members of Navika Sagar Parikrama, India’s first ever circumnavigation expedition of globe by all-women crew entered west Australian port of Fremantle.
RBI sets up task force for India Public Credit Registry
• The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has constituted high-level task force on public credit registry (PCR) for India. It will be chaired by Y M Deosthalee, former CMD of L&T Finance Holdings Ltd and will have nine other members.
Government appoints Dineshwar Sharma as its representative in J&K
• The Union Government has appointed former Intelligence Bureau (IB) Chief Dineshwar Sharma as its Representative (or special interlocutor) to initiate and carry forward sustained dialogue on Jammu and Kashmir (J&K)
TRAI recommends 40% reduction in carbon emission by 2022-23 for sustainable telecommunications
• The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has recommended 40% reduction in carbon emissions in telecom networks by 2022-23 considering 2011-12 as the base year in order to make telecom sector greener.
24 October: United Nations Day
• The United Nations Day is observed every year on 24th October to mark anniversary of entry into force of UN Charter in 1945.
Paika rebellion to be named as 1st War of Independence: Government
• The Union Human Resource Development Minister Prakash Javadekar has announced that Paika rebellion (Paika Bidroha) of 1817 will be named as First War of Independence against British Rule in history books from next academic session.
56th Raising Day of ITBP observed
• The 56th raising day of the Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) was celebrated 24 October. It was raised on 24th October in 1962.
October 24: World Development Information Day
• The World Development Information Day (WDID) is observed every year on October 24 to draw attention of world to development problems and necessity of strengthening international cooperation to solve them.