Fact Box: James Webb Space Telescope & its First Targets
• Mission officials for NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) have announced the initial science targets for the James Webb Space Telescope.
• The JWST has been scheduled to look at a large number of things in the universe including icy moons, distant exoplanets and galaxy clusters.
• It will look at very first galaxies after the Big Bang, search for fingerprints of life on Enceladus, Europa, and exoplanets like TRAPPIST-1e etc.
• As a part of the initial observations, 2100 observations has been planned for the JWST by the mission handlers.
June 17: World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought
• The World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought is observed every year on June 17 to promote public awareness to combat desertification.
External Affairs Minister inaugurates KIP for Young Overseas Indians
• External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj has inaugurated Know India Programme (KIP) for NRI and PIO youth with a view to provide them with an exposure to the country of their origin so that they can understand India better and more closely.
• External Affairs Minister has also launched a portal for the Know India Programme (KIP).
dia-Afghanistan Air freight Corridor to Open Up Soon
• India and Afghanistan are set to operationalize their first air-freight corridor in the coming days.
• The first flight will be operated by Ariana Afghan Airlines, which is the Afghanistan’s national carrier.
• The flight which will initially operate once or twice in a month will carry commodities to and from Delhi.
• Depending upon the supply needs, the frequency of the flight will be increased.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurates Kochi Metro
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated Kochi Metro, which will be Kerala’s first metro line.
• The Construction of the Kochi Metro which was entrusted to the DMRC has been completed in a record four-year period.
• Prime Minister has inaugurated the first phase of the metro with 13.2 km out of the total 25 km stretch.
• The Kochi Metro will be the country’s eighth inter-city metro rail project.
Australia’s Vivid Sydney enters Guinness World Records for Maximum Number of light installations
• The World’s largest festival of light, music and ideas, Vivid Sydney has entered into Guinness World Book of Records.
• The Guinness World Record have given the Vivid Sydney installation Dreamscape the title for the ‘Largest interactive lighting display’.
Black Money: Automatic Information Sharing with Switzerland from 2019
• Switzerland has ratified automatic exchange of financial account information with India and 40 other countries.
• This will facilitate Switzerland to share information about suspected black money with India and other 40 nations.
Helmut Kohl, father of German reunification Passes Away
• Former German Chancellor Helmut Kohl, who is hailed as the father of German unification has passed away.
• He was responsible for unifying Germany after the 1989 fall of the Berlin Wall despite facing stiff resistance from Margaret Thatcher and Mikhail Gorbachev.