CRPF Command Shifted from Kolkata to Chhattisgarh
• The strategic anti-Naxal operations command headquarters of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) has been shifted back from Kolkata to Raipur.
• In 2010, the central zone command headquarters was shifted from Raipur to Kolkata owing to logistics and connectivity issues.
• The recent decision comes at the backdrop of ambush in Sukma district that killed 37 jawans of the paramilitary force.
Times Rich List 2017: Three out of Four Wealthiest in Britain are Indians
• As per the Times Rich List 2017, three India-born citizens are among top 5 richest people in Britain.
• The 29th edition of the Sunday Times Rich List’ released the names of UK’s 1000 wealthiest people including 40 Indian-born citizens.
French Election: Emmanuel Macron elected as President of France
• Thirty-nine-year-old Emmanuel Macron has been elected as the president of France.
• He has become the youngest President and occupant of the Élysée Palace.
• He is also the first President of France outside of that country’s two traditional main parties.
• Macron defeated Marine Le Pen, his far-right opponent by securing about 19.3 million votes, while Ms Le Pen secured about 10.4 million.
• With the victory, Macron is poised to become one of Europe’s most powerful leaders.
• Macron has a highly promising agenda of political and economic reform for France and the European Union.
• Unlike his opponent Marine Le Pen, who threatened to pull out of the European Union, Macron holds a business-friendly vision of European integration.
• This has brought huge relief to the European Union nations who feared that France may follow Britain’s steps in exiting the EU.
India to Organise Cultural Festival in Egypt to mark Tagore’s 156th Birth Anniversary
• India will organise Tagore cultural Festival in Egypt to mark the 156th birth anniversary of Rabindranath Tagore from May 8-12.
• Tagore Festival will be organised by the Maulana Azad Centre for Indian Culture (MACIC), which is the cultural wing of the Indian Embassy in Cairo.
• The fest will be organised in cooperation with the Egyptian Ministry of Culture, Cairo Opera House, Cultural Production Sector, Dancers’ Guild and the Indian Community Association in Egypt.
• The festival will feature a dance show, film screening, a play and painting competition.
• As a part of the festival, a dance drama based on Tagore’s work called ‘Chitrangada‘ will be performed by the Kolkata-based Dancers’ Guild.
• Chitrangada is the warrior princess in the epic, Mahabharata.
India’s First Bio Refinery Plant inaugurated in Pune
• Union Minister for Road Transport, Highways and Shipping Nitin Gadkari has inaugurated India’s First Integrated Bio‐refinery for Renewable Fuels & Chemicals for producing ethanol from a variety of biomass.
• The plant is situated at Rahu in Pune district of Maharashtra.
• The demonstration plant has been built by Praj industries.
Indian Origin Scientists Elected Fellows of UK Royal Society
• Three Indian Scientist have been elected as the Fellows of The Royal Society, a premier scientific academy of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth, for their “outstanding contributions to science“.
• Eminent scientists, engineers and technologists from or living and working in the UK and the Commonwealth are elected every year as the Fellows of The Royal Society.