Madhya Pradesh becomes First State to Shift Financial Year to Jan-Dec Format
• Madhya Pradesh has become the first state in the country to shift its financial year from the present April-March cycle to January-December.
• The state’s budget session for the next financial year would be held in December-January.
• Hence, the state government plans to finish the current budget proceedings by December this year.
BAT Repeats Brutality by Beheading Two Indian Soldiers
• Pakistan’s ‘border action team’ (BAT) has beheaded two Indian soldiers by sneaking 200 metres into Indian Territory in the Krishna Ghati sector in Poonch district of Jammu and Kashmir.
India-Turkey inks Three Agreements
• India and Turkey have signed three agreements following delegation-level talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
• This is Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s first foreign visit after winning the April 16 referendum that will transform Turkey into a presidential form of democracy.
India’s Second Tallest Flag Pole inaugurated in Kolhapur
• India’s second tallest flag pole has been Inaugurated in Kolhapur.
• The pole which is 303 feet high has been constructed in the Police training academy garden as a part of the Kolhapur beautification project.
• The poll is 90 metres tall and 60 metres wide and weighs 24 tonne.
• Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis inaugurated the pole by unfurling a national flag of 5400sq ft as a part of the ‘Maharashtra Din’ celebrations in the state.
HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar launches Vidya-Veerta Abhiyan
• The Minister for Human Resource and Development, Prakash Javadekar has launched Students for soldiers- a nationwide Vidya – Veerta Abhiyan to encourage Universities and educational institutions across the country to display portraits of Param Veer Chakra-decorated soldiers.
Department of Telecommunications launches Portal for Information on Mobile Tower Radiation
• The Department of Telecommunications has launched a web portal called the ‘Tarang Sanchar’ web portal that will allow tracking of radiation emitted from mobile towers within their locality and check for their compliance with the Electromagnetic field (EMF) emission norms defined by the government.
• The web portal is aimed at myths and misconceptions about mobile towers and emissions from them.
Uttar Pradesh: An Ambulance Service for Cows Flagged-Off
• Uttar Pradesh Deputy Chief Minister Keshav Prasad Maurya has flagged off an ambulance service that would cater to the needs of the cows.
• Under the ‘Gauvansh Chikitsa Mobile Vans’ service, initially, 5 ambulances were flagged off to cover Lucknow, Gorakhpur, Varanasi, Mathura and Allahabad.
• The ambulance will have a veterinary doctor along with an assistant to rescue ill or injured cows and transport them to ‘gau shalas’ or take them for treatment to the veterinary hospital.
Sanjay Pratihar bags INSA Medal for Young Scientist
• Sanjay Pratihar, a scientist at Assam’s Tezpur University, has been selected for the prestigious Indian National Science Academy (INSA) medal for the Young Scientist Award, 2017, for his contribution to “multi-metal complexes, theoretical understanding, selective sensing of Hq2+ions and important applications in agriculture”.
• Read more at: http://currentaffairs.gktoday.in/page/3
Andhra Pradesh CM Chandrababu Naidu selected for USIBC Award
• The US-India Business Council (USIBC) has selected Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister, Chandrababu Naidu for the ‘Transformative Chief Minister Award’ for his role in advancing the US-India partnership at the state level.
• The award will be presented to him at the USIBC West Coast Summit in the Silicon Valley on May 8th.
Dubai becomes First City in World to gets its Own Microsoft Font
• Dubai has become the first city in the world to have its own Microsoft-designed font.
• The font will have typeface both in Latin and Arabic script.
• It will be made available in 23 languages– Afrikaans, Arabic, Basque, Britannic, Catalan, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, Gaelic, German, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Norwegian, Farsi, Portuguese, Sami, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish and Urdu.
Tejas Express: New Premier Train between Mumbai and Goa
• Indian Railways is expected to launch a new 20 coach premier train called the Tejas Express connecting Mumbai and Goa in June.
• The Tejas service aims to provide comfort to passengers in the inter-city journeys.
• Once the Mumbai-Goa run becomes operational, the Railways is likely to extend the Tejas service in Delhi-Chandigarh route.
• The Tejas service was promised in the Union Railway Budget 2016-17.