September 28: World Maritime Day.
• The World Maritime Day (WMD) is observed every year on September 28 to highlight importance of shipping safety, maritime security and marine environment and to acknowledge maritime industry.
Indian Railways to launch 100 New Suburban Rail Services in Mumbai area.
• Indian Railways is going to introduce 100 additional local train services on its Mumbai suburban network of Western Railway and Central Railway zones.
India and Norway sign Letter of Intent to bilateral extend health cooperation.
• India has signed Letter of Intent (LoI) with Norway to extend cooperation within health sector through Norway India Partnership Initiative (NIPI) for period of three years starting from 2018.
Gujarat to be first big state to use EVMs with VVPAT.
• Gujarat will become first big state to use Electronic Voting Machine (EVMs) equipped with Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail (VVPAT) in coming Assembly elections to make election process more transparent.
TK Viswanathan Committee Recommendations to deal with hate speech on internet.
• An expert committee headed by former Lok Sabha secretary general TK Viswanathan to deal with cybercrimes especially online hate speech has submitted its report to Union Home Ministry.
Government finalising Electoral Bonds Scheme.
• The Union Government is finalising electoral bonds scheme in order to bring greater transparency in funding of political parties. The scheme was announced in 2017-18 Union Budget as part of certain electoral funding reforms.
Government notifies Wetland (Conservation and Management) Rules 2017.
• Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change (MoEFCC) has notified new Wetland (Conservation and Management) Rules 2017 to prohibit range of activities in wetlands.
India registers significant decline in Infant Mortality Rate.
• According to recently released Sample Registration Bulletin (SRS), India has registered a significant decline of 8% in Infant Mortality Rate (IMR) in 2016.