1. Fill in the blanks. Ritu is …….. most active girl in …….. family.
(a) the, a (b) the, the
(c) cosmopolitan (d) metropolitan
2. A person who regards the whole world as his country is called
(a) patriot (b) nationalist
(c) cosmopolitan (d) metropolitan
3. ‘Quarried’ means
(b) measure of capacity
(c) used in glass windows
(d) floor tile
4. Change the following into past perfect continuous tense. The boys are playing cricket.
(a) has played (b) have played
(c) have been playing (d) had been playing
5. The lesson ‘Torch Bearers’ is written by which of the following writers?
(a) AG Gardiner (b) WM Ryburn
(c) HG Wells (d) Rhoda Power
6. Choose the correct figure of speech in the following sentence. ‘The wind lies asleep in the arms of dawn.”
(a) Metaphor (b) Hyperbole
(c) Personification (d) Oxymoron
7. Choose the correct meaning of the following phrase. Foot the bill
(a) To tear the bill (b) To kick the bill
(c) To pay (d) To throw the bill
8. Indicate the tense of the following sentence. I have sent a letter to him.
(a) Present indefinite tense
(b) Past perfect tense
(c) Present perfect tense
(d) Present perfect continuous tense
9. Phonetic is the Science of
(a) sounds (b) reading
(c) pronunciation (d) writing
10. Language learning starts from
(a) listening (b) speaking
(c) reading (d) writing
Ans : (a)
11. General aim of prose teaching is to help the students to develop
(a) interest in reading
(b) critical thinking
(c) comprehension ability
(d) All of the above
12. Which Indian reformist supported English education?
(a) Raja Ram Mohan Roy
(b) MK Gandhi
(c) Swami Vivekananda
(d) Swami Dayananda
13. Choose the correct meaning of the following phrase. To bring to light
(a) To reveal (b) To conceal
(c) To appeal (d) To praise
14. Choose the synonym for the following word. Consequence
(a) Proof (b) Conclusion
(c) End (d) Result
15. Change the following verb into noun.
(a) Successful (b) Succeeding
(c) Success (d) Successfully
16. ‘Language is one of the most important and characteristics forms of human behaviour’. It is the statement of
(a) Gleason (b) Maclver and Page
(c) Mahatma Gandhi (d) Dr. R K Agarwal
17. Fill in the blank with correct preposition. He is blind ……… his own fault.
(a) with (b) to
(c) of (d) for
18. The poem ‘The Nation Builders’ is composed by which of the following poets?
(a) HW Longfellow
(b) William Wordsworth
(c) Ralf Waldo Emerson
(d) Ben Jonson
19. Choose the correct word from the words given below to complete the sentence. The soldiers …………. through the town.
(a) walked (b) marched
(c) ran (d) suggested
20. Which of the following is in possessive case?
(a) I (b) Me
(c) You (d) Mine
21. What is difficult to do without paying large amount of money?
(a) To lodge a police complaint
(b) To hire an auto for a short distance
(c) To reach a side street
(d) To board a flight
22. Name the famous poet who wrote the following line. ‘They also serve who only stand and wait’.
(a) Shelley (b) Keats
(c) Milton (d) Wordsworth
23. Complete the following sentence by using correct alternative. Walk carefully lest
(a) you may fall down
(b) you should fall down
(c) you will fall down
(d) you can fall down
24. Find out the incorrect sentence.
(a) The quality of the mangoes was not good
(b) You, he and I am good friends
(c) The ‘Arabian Nights’ is still a great favourite
(d) Each of the scholars has done well
25. Change the following into passive voice. ‘Do not insult your elders’.
(a) Let not your elders be insulted
(b) Your elders let not be insulted
(c) Let your elders not be insulted by you
(d) Let us insult your elders
26. Find out the grammatically correct sentence.
(a) Politics are the subject which is taught at degree level
(b) It is you who are responsible for the downfall
(c) I, you and he is good friend
(d) Ganga is a famous river of India
27. State the part of speech of the underlined word. He looked above in the sky.
(a) Adjective (b) Noun
(c) Verb (d) Adverb
28. Choose the correct option. The passengers alighted …….. the bus.
(a) for (b) to
(c) from (d) at
29. Find where the error is in the sentence. I am reaching (a) / school (b) / in time (c) / everyday. (d)
30. Point out figure of speech in the following sentence. ‘And having nothing he hath all’.
(a) Onomatopoeia (b) Oxymoron
(c) Simile (d) Apostrophe