Directions : Read the given passage carefully and answer the questions (Question No. 61 and 62) that follow by selecting the most appropriate option. Among these adventures, in the year 1887, was a youth called Jacob who was then twenty-one years old. Although so young he had already lived a risky and dangerous life. He had been a seaman and a river patrolman, a coal shoveller at a power plant, a landless man and a ‘hobo’. He had tramped the United States and Canada, switch rides on freight trains, and dodging and fighting railway men and police and knew all about cold and hunger, and poverty and danger, and he had served a prison-sentence of thirty days. Though he did little else, he had a great love for books and words, and though he had found no gold in the Klondike, these things were soon to earn him a fortune. He came back from Alaska after a year, suffering from scurvy and without a penny in his pocket. He had, however, a great wealth of experience and he began to write stories about places he had seen and the people he had met. After months of hard work and hunger, he found success. Magazines began to accept his Alaskan stories. Soon, he was famous. In the next sixteen years he published fifty books, and made and spent a million dollars. He died in 1916.
61. In the given passage, what do you understand by the word ‘hobo’?
(a) Someone who is brave
(b) A hero
(c) Someone who does not have a job or a house and moves from one place to other
(d) Someone who fights with everyone and does not sit quietly ever
62. ‘Scurvy’ means
(a) a sea-sickness
(b) a disease resulting from a lack of vitamin C
(c) an injury caused to the body from freezing cold
(d) a feeling of nausea
63. Identify the wrong collective noun?
(a) Scissors (b) Army
(c) Sheeps (d) Daughters-in-law
64. Identify the correct sentence among the following :
(a) Please see my certificates
(b) Please look at my certificates
(c) Please look into my certificates
(d) Please see into my certificates
65. Complete the following sentence with the most appropriate word : Let us not a confuse liberty ………… license.
(a) for (b) with
(c) from (d) than
66. Which conjunction will be the most appropriate to join the following sentences? He lost the prize. He tried his best.
(a) though (b) as
(c) because (d) for
67. Which part of the following sentence is predicate? On Saturday morning my friends and I play football in the park.
(a) My friends and I
(b) On Saturday morning
(c) Play football in the park
(d) On Saturday morning ……….. I play football in the park.
68. What will be the feminine gender of ‘wizard’?
(a) Fairy (b) Witch
(c) Lizard (d) Ghost
69. The masculine gender of ‘vixen’ is
(a) horse (b) ox
(c) fox (d) deer
70. Which of the following sentences has the correct punctuation marks?
(a) The minister said, elections will be held in M.P., Bihar and Orissa.
(b) The minister said ”elections will be held in MP, Bihar and Orissa”.
(c) The minister said, “Elections will be held in MP, Bihar and Orissa.”
(d) The Minister said “Elections will be held in MP, Bihar and Orissa.”
71. Which among the following suffixes is not suitable for the root word ‘prevent’?
(a) ive (b) able
(c) ing (d) ious
72. Identify the phrasal verb in the following sentence : “Thieves broke into the blank in the middle of the night.”
(a) Thieves broke (b) broke into
(c) into the bank (d) middle of the night
73. Complete the following sentence with the most suitable option : “I didn’t know …….. in the party.”
(a) nobody (b) anybody
(c) somebody (d) someone
74. Which of the following is not a homophonic pair?
(a) Principal-Principle (b) Kite-Kit
(c) Stare-Stair (d) Steel-Steal
75. Which of the following words doesn’t have a silent letter in the pronunciation?
(a) Honest (b) Knock
(c) Orange (d) Debt
76. Which part of speech is the word ‘who’ in the following sentence? “God helps those who help themselves.”
(a) Noun (b) Adjective
(c) Adverb (d) Pronoun
77. Which part of speech is the word ‘so’ in the following sentence? “Shruti wanted to work, so she went to her room.”
(a) Verb (b) Preposition
(c) Interjection (d) Conjunction
78. Which of the following sentences has a ‘modal verb’?
(a) Ram is an intelligent boy
(b) He is flying a kite
(c) His father knows me well
(d) Her mother ought to know what she is doing in Mumbai.
79. Which of the following sentences has a possessive pronoun?
(a) He could not help me.
(b) Ramesh who is my grandson is reading a poem.
(c) Her sister is known to me.
(d) Ours is a vast country.
80. Which of the following sentences has a collective noun?
(a) Cattle are grazing in the field.
(b) He has a lot of milk.
(c) Raka is a fool.
(d) The air is cool here.
81. Identify the sentence in passive voice :
(a) He teaches Chemistry.
(b) They live in this city.
(c) He will be taken care of.
(d) Ram is flying a kite.
82. Identify the sentence in active voice :
(a) French is not taught in my college.
(b) Their friends will be caught red handed.
(c) I know nothing about western philosophy.
(d) He was knocked down by a car.
83. Which of the following sentences is an exclamatory one?
(a) He cannot speak well.
(b) You are really very kind.
(c) She is a small creature.
(d) How beautiful is the morning today
84. Which of the following words has a silent letter in it?
(a) Calm (b) Fawn
(c) Cure (d) But
85. Which of the following sentences has a direct narration?
(a) He has told me that his father was a police officer.
(b) My mother tells us that her uncle was a salesman.
(c) He said to me, “Do not cross the limit.”
(d) Shyam said to me that he was not at ease yesterday.
86. Which of the following sentences has the antonym of ‘narrow’?
(a) I admire his broad outlook.
(b) He is a good boy.
(c) She is utterly selfish.
(d) I know him well enough.
87. According to the NCF 2005, learning is …….. and ……… in its character.
(a) passive, simple (b) active, social
(c) passive, social (d) active, simple
88. What does motivation do in the process of learning?
(a) It sharpens memory of the learner.
(b) It differentiates new learning from old learning.
(c) It makes learners think undirectionally.
(d) It creates interest for learning among young learners.
89. Fill in the blanks with appropriate prepositions : Ashoka is worthy ………… remembrance.
(a) for (b) with
(c) at (d) of
90. What is the subject of the following sentence? No man can serve two masters.
(a) Two masters (b) No man can
(c) Can serve two masters (d) No man