1. Which of the following is best antonym for ‘ambiguous’?
2. Choose the synonym of the word Malady from the alternative given below
Direction : Fill in the blank by the appropriate word.
3. The fire ………….. a dense smoke.
(a) gave off
(b) gave away
(c) gave out
(d) gave up
4. ‘O my love is a red, rose Direction The above line is an example of (choose the appropriate answers from the alternatives given below)
5. Choose from the following alternatives the one which can be described as bold overstatement or the extravagant exaggeration of fact or of possibility.
6. Fill in the blank with the correct determiner in the following sentence. Sentence We must be quick. We have ……….time.
7. Hurrah We have won the match. In this sentence ‘Hurrah’ is
8. To go ‘through thick and thin’ is to
(a) loose a lot of weight
(b) have many kinds of experiences
(c) get married
(d) get into trouble
9. My grandfather is ninety but he is ‘as fit as fiddle’. Direction Choose the appropriate word group for the underlined words in above sentence.
(a) as slim as a fiddle
(b) good at fitting up fiddles
(c) in very good physical condition
(d) of the fiddling type
10. The word from of ‘to be’ is wed in a
11. Choose the correct alternative that can be susbstituted for the given group of words. Bringing about gentle and painless death from incurable disease.
12. Fill in the blank Q :…………are you?
13. Pick out the appropriate word from the given choices to fill in the blank in the following sentence. Sentence : By the time the doctor arrived the patient ………. .
(a) has died
(b) had died
(d) will die
14. It is “a feather in your cap” it means its ……..
(a) a problem
(b) a disgrace
(c) an honour
15. In present critical usage elegy is a
(a) poem of lament for death of particular person
(b) a long narrative poem on great subject
(c) a short narrative poem presenting a single speaker
(d) a lyric poem written in a single stanza
16. You don’t know my uncle ………. . Choose thee appropriate question tag.
(a) does he
(b) isn’t it
(c) do you
(d) don’t you
17. He is not only a great political but also a man of letters. Direction Find the meaning of underlined words in above sentence.
(a) a man who wrote many letters
(b) a man who received more letters
(c) a scholar with literary taste
(d) a good reader of letters
18. Choose from the alternatives given below the appropriate one word substitute for a mass of cells growing in or on a part of the body where they should not, usually causing medical problems.
19. Choose the appropriate one from the transcription given below for the word ‘boy’.
(a) b ⊃I
(b) b o i
(c) b d I
(d) b o j
20. Direction Fill in the blank in the following sentence. Sentence The man is ………… of hearing (some what deaf)
21. It has ………. all the night. Fill in the blank with the appropriate word given below.
(c) been raining
(d) is raining
22. A : I attend school everyday. B : He said that he ………… school everyday. Direction Fill in the blank of above sentence choosing the most suitable word from the given below.
(c) was attending
(d) is attending
23. Sentence Your application has been ……… Direction Fill in the blank with appropriate word choosing from below.
24. One who sacrifices for any good cause is a …..
25. What is he doing to his car now? I think he ……it. Fill in the blank of the above sentence choosing the most suitable verbal group from those given below.
(a) has polished
(b) was polished
(c) is polishing
(d) has been polishing
26. Which poetry term refers to the repetition of the same or very similar consonant sounds in words that are close together.
(b) free verse
27. His sister ……….. than his wife. Direction Choose the appropriate alternative from those given below.
(a) more prettier
(b) very prettier
(c) most pretty
28. Choose the alternative which best change the following sentence into positive degree. Sentence Delhi is one of the biggest cities in India.
(a) Few cities are as big as Delhi.
(b) Very few cities are as big as Delhi.
(c) Very few cities in India are as big as Delhi.
(d) No other city in India is as big as Delhi.
29. I respect the ‘beliefs’ of my astrologer. The underlined word is
(a) a noun
(b) an adverb
(c) an adjective
(d) a part of the verb
30. Select the active form of the following sentence. The wall is being built by the mason.
(a) The mason has built the wall
(b) The mason was building the wall
(c) The mason is building the wall
(d) The mason has been building the wall