History Previous Year Questions
Q1. Which of the following statement(s) is/ are found to be incorrect?
I. The birth of Islam in Saudi Arabia in AD 622 was destined to divert the course of Indian history in the most fundamental way.
II. Mahmud of Ghazni, also known as the ‘Sword of Islam’, mounted 17 plundering expeditions between AD 1000 and AD 1027 into North India, annexing Punjab as his eastern province.
III. Lack of unity and organization among the Rajputs was one of the main reasons for the success of Muslims in India.
(a) I and II
(b) II and III
(c) I, II and III
(d) All are correct
Q2. Match List I with List II, using the given codes.
List I (Leaders) List II (Organization) (A) C. R. Das (i) Poona Sarvajanik Sabha
(B) S. N. Banerjee (ii) Krishak Praja Party
(C) A. K. Fazlul Haq (iii) Indian Association
(D) G. K. Gokhale (iv) Swaraj Party
(A) (B) (C) (D)
(a) (i) (ii) (iii) (iv)
(b) (iv) (iii) (ii) (i)
(c) (ii) (iii) (iv) (i)
(d) (iv) (iii) (i) (ii).
Q3. What was the reasons of the decline of Mughal empire ?
1. Aurangzeb’s religious and political policy
2. Peasants became stronger
3. Zamidars became rebellion
4. Administration was centralised
Which of the above is/are correct?
(a) 1, 3 and 4
(b) 2, 3 and 4
(c) 1 and 4
(d) 2 and 3
Q4. Consider the following European missions during the Mughal period:
1. Thomas Roe
3. Rudolf Acquaviva The correct chronological order of their visits is
(a) 1 — 2 — 3
(b) 2 — 3 — 1
(c) 2 — 1— 3
(d) 3 — 1— 2
Q5. What was/were the object/objects of Queen Victoria’s Proclamation (1858) ?
1. To disclaim any intention to annex Indian States
2. To place the Indian administration under the British Crown
3. To regulate East India Company’s trade with India
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
Q6. Which one among the following was not a possible reason for the success of Nadir Shah’s military compaign in Delhi?
(a) Weak Mughal emperor
(b) Lack of strong defence in the North-West frontier
(c) Late preparation for the defence of Delhi
(d) Use of superior military technology by the invading army
Q7. BrahmoSamaj was taken from metropolitan Calcutta to provincial Bengal by:
1. Debendranath Tagore.
2. Keshav Chandra Sen.
3. Bijoy Krishna goswami.
Choose the correct code:
(b) 1 and 2
(c) 2 and 3
(d) 1, 2 and 3
Q8. Match List I with List II using the given codes.
List I List II
A. Paramars 1. Malwa
B. Chalukyas 2. Bengal
C. Senas 3. Modern Uttar Pradesh
D. Gahadavalas 4. Gujarat
A B C D
(a) 4 2 1 3
(b) 1 4 3 2
(c) 3 1 2 4
(d) 4 1 3 2
Q9. Which of the following clauses was/ were not included in the Gandhi–Irwin Pact?
I. Withdrawing all ordinances and ending prosecutions.
II. Release of all kinds of political prisoners.
III. Restoration of confiscated property of the Satyagrahis.
IV. Permitting peaceful picketing of liquor opium and foreign cloth shops.
V. Permitting all the Indians to collect or manufacture salt, free of duty.
Choose the correct answer from the codes given below:
(a) only II
(b) I and II
(c) II and V
(d) only I.
Q10. List I List II A Muhammad bin 1 Land revenue Tughlaq assessment based on actual B Firuz Tughlaq 2 Restoration of the prestige of the Crown C Balban 3 Creation of the department of agriculture D Alauddin Khilji 4 Creation of the Employment Bureau
(a) A-3, B-4, C-2, D-1
(b) A-4, B-3, C-2, D-1
(c) A-4, B-3, C-1, D-2
(d) A-1, B-4, C-2, D-3
Q11. With reference to the difference between the culture of Rigvedic Aryans and Indus Valley people, which of the following statements is/are correct?
1. Rigvedic Aryans used the coat of mail and helmet in warfare whereas the people of Indus Valley Civilization did not leave any evidence of using them.
2. Rigvedic Aryans knew gold, silver and copper whereas Indus Valley people knew only copper and iron.
3. Rigvedic Aryans had domesticated the horse whereas there is no evidence of Indus Valley people having been aware of this animal.
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
Q12. The tendency for increased litigation was visible after the introduction of the land settlement system of Lord Cornwallis in 1793. The reason for this is normally traced to which of the following provisions?
(a) Making Zamindar’s position stronger vis-a-vis the ryot.
(b) Making East India company an overlord of zamindars.
(c) Making judicial system more efficient.
(d) None of the (a), (b) and (c) above.
Q13. Which of the following statements relating to the Non-
Alignment Movement is/are not correct?
1. Non-alignment came to symbolise the struggle of India and other newly independent nations to retain and strengthen their independence from colonialism and imperialism.
2. Non-alignment advanced the process of democratisation of international relations.
3. Military alliances formed a major part of non-alignment.
Select the correct answer using the codes given below
(a) 1 and 2 (b) 2 and 3
(c) Only 3 (d) Only 1
Q14. Examine the following statements with regard to the foreign policy of the British and point out the incorrect statements:
1. The foreign policy of the colonial government in India was directed towards protecting the larger British imperial interests
2. The foreign policy was directed towards containing Russian advance in Central Asia because it threatened British interests
3. The British did not pursue any imperialistic designs on Tibet
4. The Persian Gulf was considered strategically very important for the British interests
(a) Only 3
(b) 1 and 2 only
(c) Only 2
(d) 3 and 4 only
Q15. Assertion (A): Land grants of the post- Gupta period throw light on the social configuration of the village.
Reason (R): Caste-wise identification of the villagers was made in most of the land characters of the time.
(a) Both (A) and (R) are individually true and (R) is the correct explanation of A
(b) Both (A) and (R) are individually true, but (R) is not a correct explanation of A
(c) A is true, but (R) is false
(d) A is false, but (R) is true
Q16. Arrange the following events of 1919 AD, in chronological order:
A. Rowlatt Act
B. Hunter Report
C. Jallianwala Bagh Massacre
D. Return of Knighthood by Rabindranath Tagore
(a) A, B, C, D
(b) A, C, D, B
(c) B, A, C, D
(d) C, A, B, D.
Q17. Consider the follwing pairs:
1. Forty Turkish slaves: Successors of Iltutmish
2. Khot: Village headman
3. Amiran-i-sada: Muhammad Tughlaq
Which of the above pairs are correctly matched?
(a) 1 and 2
(b) 1, 2 and 3
(c) 2 and 3
(d) 1 and 3
Q18. Assertion (A): The origin of feudal system in ancient India can be traced to military campaigns.
Reason (R): There was considerable expansion of the feudal system during the Gupta period.
(a) Both A and R are true, and R is the correct explanation of A
(b) Both A and R are true, but R is not a correct explanation of A
(c) A is true, but R is false
(d) A is false, but R is true
Q19. In the context of the Indian freedom struggle 16th October 1905 is well known for which one of the following reasons?
(a) The formal proclamation of Swadeshi Movement was made in Calcutta town hall
(b) Partition of Bengal took effect
(c) Dadabhai Naoroji declared that the goal of Indian National Congress was Swaraj
(d) Lokmanya Tilak started Swadeshi Movement in Poona
Q20. ‘Use of white marble, long legs and slender frames, human beings as central characters and prominence of kings, princess and palaces’ were the characteristic features of which one of the following ancient art forms of India?
(a) Amaravati School of Art
(b) Gandhara School of Art
(c) Mathura School of Art
(d) Pahari School of Art
Q21. Examine the following statements:
1. Colebrook established the structural similarities between Greek and Sanskrit.
2. Macaulay was instrumental in formulating the Thuggee Act (1936) and in drafting the Indian penal code.
3. In the late 19th century progressive taxation was seriously contemplated by the imperial state.
4. Orientalists believed that India’s scientific achievements had much to teach Europe Choose code for correct statements:
(a) 1 & 4
(b) 2 only
(c) 1, 2, & 3
(d) all of them
Q22. Who among the following rulers were associated with Sudarsana Lake?
2. Chandragupta Maurya
(a) 1 and 3
(b) 2 and 4
(c) 2, 3, and 4
(d) 1, 2, 3, 4
Q23. What is the correct chronological sequence of the following?
A. Jallianwala Bagh Massacre
B. Lucknow Pact
C. Rowlatt Act
D. Moplah Rebellion
(a) B, A, C, D
(b) B, C, A, D
(c) D, C, A, B
(d) C, A, D, B.
Q24. Arrange the following rulers of Kashmir in a chronological order:
Avantivarman 2. Didda 3. Harsha 4. Jayasingh
Select the correct chronological order from the codes given below:
(a) 1, 2, 3, 4
(b) 2, 3, 4, 1
(c) 3, 4, 1, 2
(d) 4, 1, 2, 3
Q25. Match the columns :
List-I : List-II
A. Rig Veda : 1. Musical hymns
B. Yajur Veda : 2. Hymns and rituals
C. Sama Veda : 3. Charms and spells
D. Atharva Veda : 4. Hymns and prayers
Select the correct answer from the codes given below :
A B C D
(a) 4 2 1 3
(b) 3 2 4 1
(c) 4 1 2 3
(d) 2 3 1 4