Geography Previous Year Questions
Q1. The Great Barrier Reef is broken in gaps because of
(a) outpouring of river water into the sea
(b) wave action
(c) oceanic currents
(d) tropical cyclones
Q2. Which of the following nutrients helps in flowering of plants?
(a) Nitrogen (b) Potassium
(c) Phosphorus (d) Oxygen
Q3. Consider the following statements:
The black cotton soil of India
1. is mainly distributed over the river valleys of the lava region of the Deccan.
2. has a great capacity of retaining moisture
3. is extremely fertile at surface
4. occupies about 10 per cent of the total area of the country of these statements
(a) 1, 2 and 3 (b) 1, 3 and 4
(c) 1 and 2 (d) 3 and 4
Q4. Which of the following pairs is/are correctly matched?
List I List II
(Mountain type) (Example)
1. Mountain system Appalachian
2. Mountain range Sierra Nevada
3. Mountain chain The Himalayas
(a) 1 and 2 only (b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only (d) 1, 2 and 3
Q5. For formation of frost, there should be
1. Clear sky
2. Calm air
3. Low relative humidity
4. Temperature below freezing point
(a) 1, 2 and 3 (b) 1, 2 and 4
(c) 2, 3 and 4 (d) 1, 3 and 4
Q6. Match the following List I List II
(Name of glaciers) (Region)
A. Baltoro 1. Karakoram Range
B. Gangri 2. Pir Panjal Range
C. Gangotri 3. Central Nepal Region
D. Lidanda 4. Garhwal Region
A B C D
(a) 3 4 1 2
(b) 1 2 4 3
(c) 2 1 3 4
(d) 4 3 2 1
Q7. The location of aluminium industry is dependent most on which one of the factors?
(a) Availability of bauxite
(b) Availability of cheap hydro-electricity
(c) Availability of ready market
(d) Availability of capital
Q8. Match List I with List II and select the correct answer using the codes given below the Lists :
List I (Timber) List II (Country)
A. Cedar : 1. Myanmar
B. Douglas Fir : 2. Canada
C. Mahogany : 3. Mexico
D. Teak : 4. Honduras
A B C D
(a) 3 2 1 4
(b) 3 2 4 1
(c) 2 3 4 1
(d) 2 3 1 4
Q9. The propagation of radio signals is greatly influenced by
(a) troposphere (b) ionosphere
(c) exosphere (d) thermosphere
Q10. Which of the following is/are the tributaries of the river Mahanadi?
(a) Seonth (b) Hasdev
(c) Jonk (d) All of above
Q11. Temperature and rainfall of a meteorological station are given below:
Temperature (0°C) Rainfall (cm) J 9.4 12.2 F 10.6 9.1 M 11.7 7.9 A 12.2 2.5 M 13.3 1.0 J 13.9 0.3 J 13.9 –
A 14.4 –
S 15.6 0.8 15.0 2.5 N 13.3 6.1 D 10.6 11.7 Average temperature: 12.8°C Average rainfall: 54.9 cm per annum Identify the region having the above climatic patterns from amongst the following:
(a) Mediterranean region
(b) Monsoon region
(c) Steppe region
(d) N.W. European region
Q12. The rainfall distribution pattern over the Ganga basin decreases from the
(a) West to East and North to South
(b) East to West and North to South
(c) West to East and South to North
(d) East to West and South to North
Q13. Consider the following statements:
1. Degradation is the general wearing away of the land surface by external forces.
2. Aggradation is associated with erosion.
3. Weathering is followed by erosion.
4. Gradation is a situation of balance between weathering and erosion.
Which of the above statements are correct?
(a) 1 and 3 only (b) 2 and 4 only
(c) 1 and 2 only (d) 3 and 4 only
Q14. Consider the following statements concerning air masses.
1. They originate from well defined source regions and acquire their basic properties from these regions.
2. The properties of air masses remain the same even if they move from one region to another region.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
(a) 1 only (b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2 (d) Neither 1 nor 2
Q15. Consider the following statements.
1. The Bhabar is a narrow belt running in east-west direction along the foot of the Shiwaliks.
2. It is continuous belt from the Indus to Brahmaputra.
3. Most of the rivers flow underground in the Bhabar belt
4. This belt is very useful for agriculture.
Which of the above statements of Bhabar are correct?
(a) 1 and 2 only (b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only (d) 2 and 4 only
Q16. Which is the most important characteristic of the Golden Quadrilateral?
(a) Connecting four major cities of the country.
(b) Providing port connectivity.
(c) North-South corridor.
(d) East-West corridor.
Q17. Consider the following climatic and geographical phenomena :
2. High temperature and humidity
4. Vertical wind Thunder Cloud development is due to which of these phenomena?
(a) 1 and 2
(b) 2, 3 and 4
(c) 1, 2 and 4
(d) 1, 2, 3 and 4
Q18. The gravitational pull at the lunar surface is of Earth.
(a) one-third (b) one-fourth
(c) one-fifth (d) one-sixth
Q19. The contours merge and run as a single line for a short distance in the case of a
(a) cliff (b) knob
(c) gorge (d) re-entrant
Q20. Which one of the following pairs is not correctly matched?
Well-known Place Country
(a) Baikonour Russia
(b) Kourou French Guiana
(c) Borobudur Indonesia
(d) Cannes France
Q21. The iron ore mined at Bailadila is mostly
(a) Haematite (b) Siderite
(c) Limonite (d) Magnetite
Q22. Logically, what does a continually rising air pressure indicate?
(a) Advent of unsettled and cloudy weather
(b) Advent of a cyclone
(c) Fine and settled weather
(d) Fire and unsettled weather
Q23. A narrow steep-sided meander within a broader meander in a stream channel due to renewed erosion by the stream is called
(a) A sub meander
(b) Meander- in- meander
(c) An entrenched meander
(d) A sequential meander
Q24. In Koppen’s classification of world climate, BSh stands for which type of climate?
(a) Tropical rainfall (b) Tropical monsoon
(c) Tropical desert (d) Tropical steppe
Q25. Which of the following is not a tributary of the Krishna river?
(a) Koyna (b) Penganga
(c) Bhima (d) Tungabhadra