Geography Previous Year Questions
Q1. In the earth’s direction of rotation is reversed, what should be the IST when it is noon at the International Date Line?
(a) 06.30 hrs (b) 05.30 hrs
(c) 18.30 hrs (d) 17.30 hrs
Q2. Match List-I with List-II and select the correct answer using the code given below:
A. Kuroshio current 1. Warm current in Atlantic Ocean
B. Peru 2. Cold current in the current Atlantic Ocean
C. Labrador 3. Warm current in the current Pacific Ocean
D. Florida current 4. Cold current in the Pacific Ocean A B C D
(a) 3 4 2 1
(b) 3 2 4 1
(c) 1 4 2 3
(d) 1 2 4 3
Q3. The waves that help scientists to understand the internal structure of the Earth are
(a) primary waves (b) secondary waves
(c) surface waves (d) longitudinal waves
Q4. Consider the following statements
1. Parent rock is more important as an agent of soil formation during longer duration.
2. Two different parent materials may form same soil in the same type of climate and same parent material may form different soils under different climates.
(a) Only 1 is correct
(b) Only 2 is correct
(c) Both 1 and 2 are correct
(d) Neither 1 nor 2 is correct
Q5. Arrange the following islands in a descending order according to the area and select the correct answer using the code given below.
1. Iceland 2. Sakhalin
3. Java 4. Tasmania
(a) 1 3 2 4
(b) 2 4 3 1
(c) 3 1 2 4
(d) 4 2 1 3
Q6. Which of the following rivers originates at Amarkantak?
(a) Damodar (b) Mahanadi
(c) Narmada (d) Tapi
Q7. Which one of the following states border Uttar Pradesh?
1. Punjab 2. Rajasthan
3. Chhattisgarh 4. Jharkhand
Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
(a) 1, 2, 3 and 4
(b) 2, 3 and 4
(c) 1 and 4
(d) 1 and 3
Q8. Consider the following statements :
1. In the world, the tropical deserts occur along the western margins of continents within the trade wind belt.
2. In India, the East Himalayan region gets high rainfall from northeast winds.
Which of the statements given above is are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
Q9. The distance of Moon from the Earth is
(a) 364 thousand kms.
(b) 300 thousand kms.
(c) 350 thousand kms.
(d) 446 thousand kms.
Q10. Which one of the following rivers does not belong to antecedent rivers in respect of outer range of Himalayas?
(a) Chenab (b) Gola
(c) Kamla (d) Tapti
Q11. Which of the following is/are the characteristic/ characteristics of Indian coal?
1. High ash content
2. Low sulphur content
3. Low ash fusion temperature
Select the correct answer using the codes given below.
(a) 1 and 2 only (b) 2 only
(c) 1 and 3 only (d) 1, 2 and 3
Q12. Which of the following are true of matrilineal societies?
1. Newly married couple stays with the woman’s parents.
2. As per the rules of inheritance, the property passes from mother to daughter.
3. Women play a dominant role in the family.
4. Examples of matrilineal societies are those of the Khasi and Jaintia tribes of Meghalaya.
Select the correct answer using the codes given below
(a) 1, 2, 3 and 4 (b) 1 and 3
(c) 2 and 4 (d) 1, 2 and 4
Q13. Which one of the following pairs is not correctly matched?
Well-known place Country
(a) Baikonur : Russia
(b) Kourou : French Guiana
(c) Borobudur : Indonesia
(d) Cannes : France
Q14. Match list I with list II and select the correct answer by using the code given below List I List II
(Region/area) (Characteristic features)
A. Meghalaya 1. Wettest state of India
B. Eastern slope of 2. Rain shadow area Western Ghats
C. Western Rajasthan 3. High annual rainfall variability
D. Punjab 4. Wi n ter r a infal l f r o m w e s t e r n disturbances
A B C D
(a) 2 3 1 4
(b) 4 1 3 2
(c) 1 2 3 4
(d) 4 3 2 1
Q15. The oldest mountains are
Q16. Consider the following pairs National Park River flowing through the Park
1. Corbett National Park – Ganga
2. Kaziranga National Park – Manas
3. Silent Valley National Park – Kaveri
Which of the above pairs is/are correctly matched?
(a) 1 and 2
(b) 3 only
(c) 1 and 3
Q17. Turkey is located between
(a) Black Sea and Caspian Sea
(b) Black Sea and Mediterranean Sea
(c) Gulf of Suez and Mediterranean Sea
(d) Gulf of Aqaba and Dead Sea
Q18. The dominant type of irrigation in Peninsular India is the irrigation by
(a) Canal (b) Tank
(c) Well (d) Sprinkler
Q19. Consider the following statements.
1. The tropical year is shorter than the sidereal year.
2. The solar day is longer than the sidereal day.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only (b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2 (d) Neither 1 nor 2
Q20. Where does the Jhelum river emerge forming the India-
(a) Iranian Plateau (b) Potwar Plateau
(c) Rohtas Plateau (d) Shillong Plateau
Q21. Match List-I with List-II and select the correct answer using the codes given below the lists.
(Industrial region) (Name of country)
A. Ruhr 1. U.S.A.
B. New England 2. Brazil
C. Kinki 3. Germany
D. Belo Horizontal 4. Japan A B C D
(a) 3 1 4 2
(b) 2 3 1 4
(c) 4 2 3 1
(d) 1 4 2 3
Q22. Which one of the following is a land-locked harbour?
(a) Vishakhapatnam (b) Ennore
(c) Mumbai (d) Haldia
Q23. Consider the following statements
1. Salinity of the ocean waters generally decreases from the equator towards poles.
2. Tropic of Cancer and Tropic of Capricorn have higher salinity than the equator.
3. Mediterranean Sea has higher salinity than the open Atlantic Ocean.
4. Salinity is low in the polar areas due to influx of melting water.
Which of the above statements are correct?
(a) 1 and 2 only (b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 3 and 4 only (d) 1, 2, 3 and 4
Q24. Assertion (A): The world population experienced an unprecedented growth during the second half of the 20th century.
Reason (R): Death rate fell considerably during that period due to development of health services.
(a) Both A and R are true and R is the correct explanation of A.
(b) Both A and R are true but R is not the correct explanation of a.
(c) A is true but R is false.
(d) A is false but R is true.
Q25. Black soil requires least tilling because
(a) It is very fertile
(b) It contains lots of minerals
(c) It has originated from volcanic eruption
(d) It develops cracks in the dry season and loosened particles fall in the cracks.