English Language Previous Year Questions for CTET & TET Exams
Q1. What kind of adjective is used in the following sentence? These mangoes are ripe.
Ans: (3) Demonstrative Adjective is used in the sentence ‘These mangoes are ripe’. Hence option (3) Demonstrative Adjective: Demonstrative Adjective are Adjective that are used to modify a noun so that we know which specific person, place or thing is mentioned. Here in the present sentence ‘These’ modifies noun ‘Mangoes’ so ‘These’ is used as a demonstrative adjective.
Q2. Choose the correct word to complete the following sentence: He insisted _____ seeing the documents.
Ans: (2) In the blank preposition ‘on’ is appropriate because verb ‘Insist’ always followed by preposition ‘on’ Hence option (2) So the correct sentence is – He insisted on seeing the documents.
Q3. How did Luz Long help Josse Owens?
(1) Luz Long advised Josse to take rest for a few minutes.
(2) Luz Long advised Josse to draw a line in few inches behind the board and aim at making his take off from there.
(3) Luz Long advised Josse to forget that he was participating in a competition.
(4) Luz Long advised Josse not to accept the Master Race Theory of Hitler.
Ans: (2) Correct option is (2) Luz Long advised Josse to draw a line a few inches behind the board and aim at making his take off from there.
Q4. Complete the following: Man is born, according to H.W. Longfellow.
(1) to return to dust
(2) to die and be buried
(3) to be up and doing
(4) to pray to God
Ans: (3) Option (3) is correct. In the poem “A Psalm of Life” compose by ‘Henry Wordsworth Longfellow’ Last stanza’s first line – “Let us, then, be up and doing with a heart for any fate” makes clear that Man is born to be up and doing. Hence option (3)
5. Complete the following sentence by choosing the correct option: No sooner did we go out on the road _____it began to rain heavily.
5. ‘No sooner ———than’ is structure such as – hardly —–when/before ——and scarcely —– when/before’ are. Hence option (1) is correct. Correct sentence is – No sooner did we go out on the road than it began to rain heavily.
Q6. The correct feminine of “ram” is
Ans: (3) Feminine of ‘Ram’ is ‘Ewe’. Hence option (3) is correct.
Q7. Complete the following sentence with the correct option:
Ans: (2) Correct sentence is – Yours is the best story.
Q8. Identify the correct reported form of the given sentence: Ravi said to his friend, “work hard”.
(1) Ravi asked his friend that ht must work hard.
(2) Ravi said to his friend you must work hard.
(3) Ravi advised his friend to work hard.
(4) Ravi ordered his friend to work hard.
Ans: (3) Correct reported form is option (3) Ravi advised his friend to work hard. ‘Work hard’ is a imperative sentence. When we change these type of sentence into indirect speech we follow the following rule. (I) We changed reporting verb say/says or said into order, request, urged, begged according to the sense of the sentence. (II) We used conjunction ‘to’ Hence option (3).
Q9. Choose the correct figures of speech in the following sentence: Her mother too upon this occasion felt a pleasing distress.
Ans: (1) In the sentence – ‘Her mother too upon this occasion felt a pleasing distress used figure of speech is – Oxymoron. Oxymoron: In this figure of speech two terms which are opposite in meaning are placed side by side and they formed one lovely phrase. Here in the present sentence word – Pleasing and ‘distress’ are opposite. Hence option (1). (परीक्षा तिथिः 19-12-2016)
Q10. Choose the word opposite in the meaning to the given word: ‘FRAILTY’
Ans: (1) Correct opposite of the word – ‘Frailty’ is ‘strength’ which means the quality or state of being physically strong. Hence option (1)
Q11. Didactic poetry me
Ans: (2) Didactic poetry: Didactic poetry refers to poems than contain a clear, moral or message or purpose to convey to its reader, means poetry which teaches. Hence option (3).
Q12. Fill in the blank with the suitable form of verb: Either Munni or Chunni _____lost her pen.
(4) will have
Ans: (2) When two subjects are Joined by or the verb is usually singular. Hence option (2) has is correct. Either Munni or Chunni has lost her pen.
Q13. Point out the word that has been wrongly used in this sentence: If you lose your passport in a foreign country it will effect you badly-
Ans: (1) ‘effect’ word is wrongly used in the present sentence. There should be ‘affect’ in place of ‘effect’. Hence option. (1) Correct sentence – If you lose your passport in a foreign country it will affect you badly.
Q14. Poetry teaching should be basically a process of
Ans: (1) Poetry teaching should be basically a process of joy. Hence option (1)
Q15. What are the two productive skills?
(2) Listening -Reading
Ans: (1) Speaking and writing are the two productive skills. Hence option. (1) Productive skill – The productive skills are speaking and writing, because learners doing these need to produce language. They are also known as active skills.
Q16. Linguistics is a study of
(1) Grammar Translation Method
(2) Direct Method
(4) Human Language
Ans: (4) Lingustic is a study of human language. Hence option (4)
Q17. Dyslexia is associated mainly with difficulties in
Ans: (2) Dyslexia: Dyslexia is a specific learning disability in reading. Hence option (2).
Q18. The purpose of ‘rapid reading’ is
(1) for specific detail
(2) for interest
(3) extended reding
(4) seeking information
Ans: (1) The purpose of ‘rapid reading’ is for specific detail. Hence option (1).
Q19. What does the Ganges symbolize, according to Jawaharlal Nehru?
(1) It is a symbol of India’s age long culture and civilization.
(2) It is a symbol of India’s prosperity
(3) It is a symbol of changing seasons of India.
(4) It is a symbol of India’s struggle for freedom.
Ans: (1) According to Jawaharlal Nehru the Ganges Symbolize as a symbol of India’s age – long culture and civilization. Source: High school English text book U.P. Board Prose Chapter No. 3 Lesson – The Ganga written by Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru.
Q20. What damaged the crop in Lencho’s field?
(2) Wild animals
Ans: (4) Hailstones damaged the crop in Lencho’s field. Source: High school English text book U.P. Board Prose Chapter No. 2 A letter to God by G.L. Fuentes.
Q21. What does Lorenzo order when he learns that Portia is on her way to Belmont?
(2) A banquet to welcome the lady of the house
(3) A ring to match the one she once gave to Bassanio
Ans: (1) Lorenzo orders music when he learns that Portia is on her way to Belmont. Source: The Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare.
Q22. In court how does Antonio react to Shylock’ insistence on collecting his pound of flesh?
(1) He vows that he will meet Shylock’s hatred with patience.
(2) He weeps openly.
(3) He curses Shylock’s vengeance.
(4) He makes an impassioned plea to the court to intervene on his behalf
Ans: (1) Antonio vows that he will meet shylock’s hatred with patience. Source: Question No. 21
Q23. According to Lorenzo’s plan, how will Jessica escape from her father’s house?
(1) She will leave during the night while Shylock is asleep.
(2) She will disguise herself as Lorenzo’s toch bearer and slip out undetected.
(3) She will take her father to a large public auction and get lost in the crowed.
(4) She will fake her own death.
Ans: (2) Jessica escape from her father’s house in disguised herself as Lorenzo’s torch bearer and slip out undetected. Source: Question No. 21
Q24. How does Shylock initially describe his demand for a pound of flesh to Bassanio and Antonio?
(1) As his way of being chairtable
(2) As an opportunity for revenge
(3) As a harmless prank
(4) As a means of generating friendship
Ans: (2) Shylock initially describes his demand for a pound of flesh to Bassanio and Antonio as a opportunity for revenge. Source: Question No. 21
Q25. What reason does Antonio give for being sad in the opening scene of the play?
(1) He owes a fantastic sum of moneyto Shylock.
(2) He stands to lose a fortune in his present business ventures.
(3) He gives no reason.
(4) The woman he loves does not return his feelings.
Ans: (3) Antonio gives no reason for being sad in the opening scene of the play. Source: Question No. 21
Q26. Whom does Bassanio agree to bring with him to Belmont?
(2) Old Gobbo
Ans: (1) Bassanio agree to Gratiano to bring with him to Belmont. Source: Question No. 21
Q27. Point out the error in the following incorrect sentence: I can learn poems more easy than speeches.
(1) learn poems
(2) I can
(3) more easy
(4) than speeches
Ans: (3) Option (3) is incorrect (more easay) there should be – easier. Correct sentence – I can learn poems easier than speeches.
Q28. Point out the sentence in the active voice.
(1) This notice has been altered.
(2) Why don’t you have your eyes tested?
(3) Boys could not have done all this damage.
(4) Steps had been cut in the ice by previous climbers
Ans: (3) Option (3) is in Active voice. Hence option (3) is correct.
Q29. Point out the correct word to bring out the meaning in the sentence: Women have always dressed to _____figure flaws.
Ans: (4) Option (4) is correct in the blank of the sentence. Camouflage means – away of hiding something by painting it or covering it with leaves or branches to make it harder to see. Hence option (4) is correct. Correct sentence: Women have always dressed to camouflage figure flaws.
Q30. Point out the correct indirect speech of the sentence. “Would you like to come with us?” they said.
(1) They asked me if I would like to come with them.
(2) They asked me to go with them.
(3) They invited me to go with them.
(4) They told me to come with them.
Ans: (1) Correct indirect speech of the sentence is option (1) Rule– (i) If reported speech is in interrogative, we use conjunction if or whether. (ii) We change reporting verb say, says or said into ask, asks or asked. So correct indirect speech is – They asked me if I would like to come with them.