English UGC NTA NET JRF Previous Year Paper DECEMBER–2009 PAPER-II
1. A classical influence on Ben Jonson’s Volpone is
A. Juvenal B. Aristophanes
C. Plautus D. Terence
2. Kipling’s “The White Man’s Burden” is addressed to
A. The American imperial mission in the Philippines.
B. The Belgian colonial expansion in the Congo.
C. The British Imperial presence in Nigeria.
D. The British colonial entry into Afghanistan.
3. Poetry : A Magazine of Verse was founded by Harriet Monroe in
A. 1922 B. 1920
C. 1918 D. 1912
4. Who among the following was Geoffrey Chaucer’s contemporary?
A. Thomas Chatterton
B. John Gower
C. Thomas Shadwell
D. John Gay
5. Which of the following is NOT written by Walter Scott?
B. Lady of the Lake
C. Heart of Midlothian
D. The English Mail Coach
6. “Provincializing Europe” is a concept propounded by
A. Edward Said
B. Paul Gilroy
C. Abdul R. Gurnah
D. Dipesh Chakravarty
7. The earliest tract on feminism is
A. Simone de Beauvoir’s The Second Sex
B. Virginia Woolf’s A Room of One’s Own
C. Mary Wollstonecraft’s A Vindication of the Rights of Woman
D. Mary Astell’s A Serious Proposal to the Ladies
8. Match the imaginary location with its creator:
I. Emily Bronte (a) Wessex
II. Thomas Hardy (b) Egdon Heath
III. Lowood Parsonage (c) Coketown
IV. Charles Dickens (d) Charlotte Bronte
I II III IV
A. (c) (a) (d) (b)
B. (b) (a) (d) (c)
C. (a) (b) (d) (c)
D. (c) (a) (b) (d)
9. Which Chaucerian text parodies Dante’s The Divine Comedy?
A. The Canterbury Tales
B. The Book of the Duchess
C. The House of Fame
D. Legend of Good Women
10. Essays of Elia was published in
A. 1800 B. 1823
C. 1827 D. 1850
11. Which of the following is an example of homosexual fiction?
A. The Well of Loneliness
D. The Ballad of the Reading Gaol
12. W.B. Yeats’ “Easter 1916” is
A. a response to a major political uprising
B. a reminiscence of his visit to a nursery school
C. a love poem for Maud Gonne
D. an ode to his native country
13. William Empson’s Seven Types of Ambiguity is
A. A structuralist study of narrative
B. A piece of psychoanalytic criticism
C. A study of the media
D. An analysis of poetic ambivalence
14. Who among the following is associated with the ideology of Utilitarianism?
A. J.A. Froude
B. Charles Kingsley
C. J.S. Mill
D. Cardinal Newman
15. The ‘Condition of England’ literature refers to
A. The literature written by the labour class
B. The literature of England extolling living conditions
C. The literature of England depicting the vulnerability of labour classes
D. The literature of England depicting the imperial projects abroad
16. Philip Sidney wrote An Apology for Poetry in immediate response to
A. Plato’s Republic
B. Aristotle’s Poetics
C. Stephen Gosson’s The School of Abuse
D. Jeremy Collier’s Immorality and Profaneness of the English Stage
17. Silence The Court is in Session is a _________ play translated into English.
A. Gujarati B. Bengali
C. Marathi D. Kannada
18. Arrange the following in ascending order in terms of size:
1. epic 2. epigram
3. stanza 4. sonnet
A. 1 2 3 4 B. 2 1 3 4
C. 2 3 4 1 D. 1 3 4 2
19. “Fail I alone in words and deeds?/Why, all men strive and who succeeds?” These lines are from
A. “Rabbi Ben Ezra”
B. “Fra Lippo Lippi”
C. “Caliban upon Setebos”
D. “The Last Ride Together”
20. Dr. Johnson’s “The Vanity of Human Wishes” expresses
A. Epicureanism B. Humanism
C. Stoicism D. Cynicism
21. “A trivial comedy for serious people” was the subtitle for
A. Everyman in His Humour
B. Blythe Spirit
C. The Way of the World
D. The Importance of Being Earnest
22. Which famous elegy closes with the following lines?
“In the deserts of the heart/Let the healing fountain start,/In the prison of his days,/ Teach the free man how to praise.”
A. In Memoriam
C. “In Memory of W.B. Yeats”
D. “Verses on the Death of T.S. Eliot”
23. The Temple is a collection of poems by
A. Thomas Carew
B. Robert Herrick
C. George Herbert
D. Richard Crashaw
24. Ben Jonson’s comedies are
A. Volpone, Bartholomew Fair, The Shoemaker’s Holiday
B. Volpone, The Alchemist, Epicoene
C. Volpone, The Alchemist, The Knight of the Burning Pestle
D. Volpone, Epicoene, The Shoemaker’s Holiday
25. What is ‘L’ Allegro’s’ companion piece called?
A. Lamia B. Hyperion
C. Il Penseroso D. Thyrsis
26. Match the character with the novel:
I. Caddy (a) The Sound and the Fury
II. Lennie (b) Of Mice and Men
III. Jake Barnes (c) The Sun Also Rises
IV. Tommy Wilhelm (d) Seize the Day
I II III IV
A. (a) (b) (c) (d)
B. (d) (c) (a) (b)
C. (c) (d) (a) (b)
D. (d) (c) (d) (a)
27. Who among the following writers belonged to the American Beat Movement?
A. Allen Ginsberg B. Mark Beard
C. Isaac McCaslih D. Charles Beard
28. “The Lost Generation” is a name applied to the disillusioned intellectuals and aesthetes of the years following the First World War.
Who called them “The Lost Generation”?
A. H.L. Mencken B. Willa Cather
C. Jack London D. Gertrude Stein
29. Hyperbole is
1. an extravagant exaggeration
2. a racist slur
3. a metrical skill
4. a figure of speech
A. 1 is correct
B. 1 and 4 are correct
C. 1 and 3 are correct
D. 3 is correct
30. “Imagined Communities” is a concept propounded by
A. Benedict Anderson
B. Homi Bhabha
C. Aijaz Ahmed
D. Partha Chatterjee
31. The New Historicists include
A. Greenblatt, Showalter, Montrose
B. Greenblatt, Sinfield, Butler
C. Greenblatt, Montrose, Goldberg
D. Williams, Greenblatt, Belsey
32. Wallace Stevens’ “The Man with the Blue Guitar” may be linked to the work of the following artist
A. Modigliani B. Chagall
C. Picasso D. Cezanne
33. The author of Gender Trouble is
A. Elaine Showalter
B. Helene Cixous
C. Michele Barrett
D. Judith Butler
34. The structural analysis of signs was practised by
A. Michel Foucault
B. Jacques Lacan
C. Julia Kristeva
D. Roland Barthes
35. Which of the following is a spoof of a Gothic novel?
B. Northanger Abbey
C. Castle of Otranto
D. Mysteries of Udolfo
36. The “madwoman in the attic” is a specific reference to
A. The narrator of “Goblin Market”
B. Augusta Egg’s 1858 narrative painting
C. The Heroine of The Yellow Wallpaper
D. Bertha Mason of Jane Eyre
37. Assertion (A): Dr Johnson’s The Lives of the Poets carries critical and biographical studies of poets he admired. It does not, however, carry a life of William Wordsworth.
Reason (R): Dr. Johnson singled out poets whom he not only admired but also adored.
This explains his omission of Wordsworth.
A. (A) is wrong but (R) is correct
B. (A) is true but (R) is false
C. (A) and (R) are true
D. Neither (A) nor (R) is true
38. What is the correct chronological sequence of the following?
A. Moll Flanders, Pamela, Joseph Andrews, Tristram Shandy
B. Joseph Andrews, Tristram Shandy, Pamela, Moll Flanders
C. Tristram Shandy, Moll Flanders, Pamela, Joseph Andrews
D. Pamela, Moll Flanders, Joseph Andrews, Tristram Shandy
39. “How can what an Englishman believes be heresy? It is a contradiction in terms.” This means
1. An Englishman does not know what heresy is.
2. An Englishman has no beliefs.
3. And, therefore, there is no question of his heresy.
4. And, therefore, there cannot be any question of his acting his beliefs.
A. 1 and 4 are correct
B. 1 and 2 are correct
C. 1 and 3 are correct
D. 2 and 4 are correct
40. Which of the following is an essentially Freudian concept ?
A. Archetype B. The Uncanny
C. The Absurd D. The Imaginary
41. He wrote an essay called “Conrad’s Darkness” where he praises the earlier writer for offering him a vision of the world’s “half-made societies’. Identify the writer.
A. Chinua Achebe
B. V.S. Naipaul
C. Salman Rushdie
D. Ngugi wa Thiongo
42. “Magic Realism” is closely associated with
A. Italo Calvino
B. Gabriel Garcia Marquez
C. Anita Desai
D. Rohinton Mistry
43. Who among the following combines anthropology, history and fiction?
A. Kamala Markandaya
B. Mulk Raj Anand
C. Upmanyu Chatterjee
D. Amitav Ghosh
44. Which of the following is NOT a Partition novel?
A. Train to Pakistan
B. Sunlight on a Broken Column
C. The Shadow Lines
D. In Custody
45. Which of the following options is correct?
1. Transcendentalism was a philosophical and literary movement.
2. It flourished in the Southern States of America in the 19th century.
3. It was a reaction against 18th century rationalism and the skeptical philosophy of Locke.
4. Among the major texts of Transcendentalist thought are the essays of Emerson, Thoreau’s Walden and the writings of Margaret Fuller.
A. 1 and 4 are correct
B. 2 and 3 are correct
C. 3 and 4 are correct
D. 4 is correct