1. Which of the following book is not authored by Karl Marx?
(a) German Ideology
(b) Critique of the Gotha Programme
(c) Paris Manuscripts
(d) Science of Logic
2. Who wrote “Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign”?
(a) J.S. Mill
(b) M.K. Gandhi
(c) Jeremy Bentham
(d) Robert Nozick
3. Rajni Kothari’s book Politics in India is written on the basis of the methodology of
(a) Structural functionalism
(b) Normative theory
4. Who is the first modern political thinker who deliberately ignores Aristotle?
(a) Machiavelli (b) Bodin
(c) Hobbes (d) Locke
5. Match List–I with List–II and select the correct answer from the
codes given below: List–I
A. Dictatorship of the proletariat
B. Communist Party
D. Polycentricism List–II
(i) Gramsci (ii) Marx (iii) Lenin (iv) Togliatti
Codes: A B C D
(a) (ii) (iii) (i) (iv)
(b) (i) (ii) (iii) (iv)
(c) (iii) (i) (ii) (iv)
(d) (ii) (i) (iii) (iv)
6. Match List–I with List–II and select the correct answer from the
codes given below: List–I
A. Twentieth century Jacobinism
B. Voluntary Poverty
C. I was born a Hindu but will not die as one
D. Integrated theory of evolution List–II
(i) Gandhi (ii) Aurobindo (iii) Ambedkar (iv) M.N. Roy
Codes: A B C D
(a) (i) (ii) (iii) (iv)
(b) (iv) (i) (iii) (ii)
(c) (ii) (iii) (i) (iv)
(d) (iii) (i) (ii) (iv)
7. Gandhi described himself as a
(c) Social Democrat
(d) Philosophical Anarchist
8. The doctrine of overlapping consensus is advocated by
(a) Berlin (b) Barry
(c) Nozick (d) Rawls
9. Who among the following first developed the concept of general systems theory?
(a) Ludwig von Bertalanffy
(b) Colin Cherry
(c) Robert K. Merton
(d) Talcott Parsons
10. Structural functionalism as a method was developed to study the politics of
(a) Advanced capitalism
(b) Developed socialism
(c) Modern totalitarianism
(d) Politics of developing countries
11. C. Wright Mill’s ‘The Power Elite’ is a study of the contemporary politics of
(b) The United States of America
(c) The Soviet Union
(d) Great Britain
12. Who among the following identified the crises in political development on the basis of his study of England?
(a) A.F.K. Organski
(b) Lucian W. Pye
(c) Edward Shils
(d) David Apter
13. Which one of the following pairs is not correctly matched?
(a) C.W. Mills – The Power Elite
(b) T.B. – Elites and Bottomore Society
(c) Pareto – The Ruling Class
(d) Ortega Y – The Revolt of Gasset the Masses
14. Who among the following postulated the law “officials make work for each other”?
(a) Max Weber
(b) F.M. Marx
(c) H. Finer
(d) N. Parkinson
15. Which of the following pairs is not correct?
(a) U.S.A. – Double citizenship
(b) India – Procedure established by law
(c) Australia – Unitary form of Government
(d) Switzerland – Plural Executive
16. Michels’ Iron law of oligarchy was formulated on the basis of the study of
(a) German Social Democratic Party
(b) British Labour Party
(c) Democratic Party of the U.S.A.
(d) Communist Party of the Soviet Union
17. Montesquieu’s theory of separation of powers emphasises primarily on
(d) Liberty Each of the following four items consist of two statements, one labelled as Assertion (A) and the other labelled as Reason (R).
(A) Both (A) and (R) are true and
(R) is the correct explanation of (A).
(B) Both (A) and (R) are true and (R) is not the correct explanation of (A).
(C) (A) is true, but (R) is flase.
(D) (A) is false, but (R) is true.
18. Assertion (A): The Information Technology has made Staff Agency indispensable. Reason (R): Staff Agency assists the Line Agency in decision making.
19. Assertion (A): While declaring war on terrorism the US asserted that the states which were not on the side of the US were against it. Reason (R): In the wake of war on terrorism the US denied states the liberty to be neutral.
20. Assertion (A): Ambedkar was in favour of separate electorate for depressed classes. Reason (R): He was in agreement with Gandhi.
21. Assertion (A): The presidential system is successful only in the U.S.A. Reason (R): The United States of America is the only nation with minor contradictions that ensures the success of the presidential system.
22. Which one of the following was not associated with the Hindustan Republic Association?
(a) Chandrashekhar Azad
(b) Jogesh Chandra Chatterjee
(c) Aurobindo Ghosh
(d) Bhagat Singh
23. Who gave the Indian National Congress the Constitution and made it a mass and cadre party?
(c) Motilal Nehru
24. Who appoints the Inter-State Council?
(a) The President of India
(b) The Union Cabinet
(c) The Prime Minister
(d) The Union Home Minister
25. Identify the States whose State Assemblies are meet at places other than the State capital:
(a) Jammu-Kashmir & Madhya Pradesh
(b) Madhya Pradesh and Karnataka
(c) Maharashtra and Andhra Pradesh
(d) Jammu-Kashmir and Maharashtra
26. Which amendment of the Constitution of India limits the number of Ministers?
(a) 73rd (b) 86th
(c) 87th (d) 91st
27. Which one of the following committees is not associated with Panchayati Raj in India?
(a) Sadiq Ali Committee
(b) Dinesh Goswami Committee
(c) L.M. Singhvi Committee
(d) P.K. Thungan Committee
28. Identify the correct sequence in which the following Deputy Prime Ministers were appointed in India?
(i) Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel (ii) Ch. Devi Lal (iii) Ch. Charan Singh (iv) Morarji Desai
(a) (i) (iii) (iv) (ii)
(b) (i) (iv) (ii) (iii)
(c) (iv) (i) (ii) (iii)
(d) (i) (iv) (iii) (iv)
hai Patel, who was also home minister in Jawaharlal Nehru’s cabinet. After him in 1967 Morarji Desai became the deputy Prime minister.
29. Who of the following constituted an oligarchy within the Constituent Assembly of India?
(a) Nehru, Patel, Prasad, Azad
(b) Ambedkar, B.N. Rao, K.M. Munshi, Nehru
(c) Patel, Azad, Munshi, Ambedkar
(d) Krishnamachari, Pannikar, Nehru, Patel
30. Who describes Indian economy as “Bullock Cart Capitalism”?
(a) Rajni Kothari
(b) Atul Kohli
(c) Granville Austin
(d) Lloyd and Sussane Rudolph
31. Who among the following defines Public Administration as “the activities of the Executive Braches of the National, State and Local Government”.?
(a) Morstein Marx
(b) Luther Gullick
(c) Herbert A. Simon
(d) Marshal E. Dimock
32. Public Accounts Committee has the following Members. Tick the correct answer: Lok Sabha Rajya Sabha Total
(a) 10 5 15
(b) 15 7 22
(c) 11 5 16
(d) 17 10 27
33. ‘Span of Control’ is also known as
(a) The Repair Boss
(b) The Gang Boss
(c) Military Type of Foreman
(d) Business Frontline
34. The word ‘Bureaucracy’ was first coined by
(a) Max Weber
(b) Alexander Pope
(c) M. Crozier
(d) Vincent de Gournay
35. Which one of the following is the correct function of Staff Agency?
(a) Issuing orders to the subordinates
(b) Controlling the activities of the subordinates
(c) Advising the Chief Executive
(d) Providing Institutional Services
36. Which of the following statements is not correct with regard to Riggs’ Perspective of Societies?
(a) Fused societies are traditional.
(b) Developed societies are diffracted societies.
(c) Ascriptive values are found in diffracted societies.
(d) Traditional societies have ascriptive values.
37. The Informal Channel of Communication is also know as
38. Match the thinkers with the concepts: Thinker
A. F.W. Taylor
B. Chester Bernard
C. Henry Fayol
D. Frederic Herzberg Concept
(i) Scalar (ii) Dissatisfier (iii) Zone of Acceptance (iv) Incentive system Select the correct order:
Codes: A B C D
(a) (ii) (iii) (i) (iv)
(b) (iii) (ii) (iv) (i)
(c) (iv) (ii) (iii) (i)
(d) (iv) (iii) (i) (ii)
39. Who stated that “Budget is a series of Goals with price tags attached”?
(c) Betram Gross
(d) Allen Schick
40. Which one of the following articles of the Constitution empowers Parliament to create an All India Service?
(a) Article 300
(b) Article 312
(c) Article 320
(d) Article 410
41. Which of the following resulted from Bretton Woods Conference?
(a) United Nations
(b) League of Nations
(c) Institutions meant for checking nuclear proliferation
(d) World Bank and IMF
42. Which of the following is not the basic principle of Hans J. Morgenthou’s realism?
(a) Politics is rooted in the human nature.
(b) Politics is autonomous.
(c) National interest is defined in terms of power.
(d) Politics is governed by Universal moral values.
43. Marshall Plan was meant for
(a) Building the economics of the third world
(b) Rebuilding Western European economics
(c) Rebuilding the economics of the North-American countries
(d) Building the economics of African countries
44. Russia has been given permanent seat on the UN Security Council by virtue of its being
(a) Second most powerful country in the world
(b) Successor State to the former Soviet Union.
(c) Largest country in the world in terms of area
(d) One of the oldest civilisations in the world.
45. The major argument of Neorealism of Kenneth Waltz is that
(a) Structures are more important than actors.
(b) Actors play more crucial role than structures.
(c) Human nature is crucial element in politics.
(d) The states override the constraints imposed by international structures.
46. N o n – r e c i p r o c i t y p r i n c i p l e o f I n d i a ’ s p o l i c y t o w a r d s neighbouring countries envisages
(a) hegemonic designs towards neighbouring countries.
(b) efforts for improving ties with the neighbouring countries without reciprocity.
(c) non-aligned policy posture in the South Asian context.
(d) the disciplining of the neighbouring countries.
47. What is the correct chronological order of the developments listed below?
(i) Indo-Soviet Treaty of Friendship (ii) India’s First Nuclear Explosion at Pokhran (iii) Cuban Missile Crises (iv) Adoption of Structural adjustment programme of India Select the correct answer from the following
(a) (ii) (iv) (iii) (i)
(b) (iii) (i) (ii) (iv)
(c) (iv) (ii) (i) (iii)
(d) (i) (iv) (iii) (ii)
48. Assertion (A): WTO pleads that free trade brings prosperity for all and therefore should be promoted. Reason (R): Integration of the countries with global economy through the system of trade helps them to export goods abroad as also import goods which they need.
(a) (A) and (R) are true and (R) is a correct explanation of (A).
(b) Both (A) and (R) are true, but (R) is not the correct explanation of (A).
(c) (A) is true, but (R) is false.
(d) (A) is false, but (R) is true.
49. 14th SAARC Summit held in New Delhi in 2007, stressed
(a) Improving intra-regional connectivity
(b) Commitment to bilateralism within SAARC
(c) Connecting SAARC with other regional organisations
(d) Not to extend SAARC membership
50. Collective Security System of the UN is based on the principle of
(a) All for one, one for all
(b) Imposing sanctions against the belligerent state unilaterally
(c) Maintenance of security by the major powers
(d) Balance of power to be maintained by state of equilibrium.