Varunastra: a heavyweight torpedo for Indian Navy
Varunastra torpedoes will be manufactured at BDL Visakhapatnam unit, in collaboration with the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
Jun 14, 2019 15:18 IST
Indian Navy and Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL) have signed a contract recently worth Rs. 1187.82 crore for supply of heavyweight torpedo Varunastra to Indian Navy. The execution of contract will be done in the next 42 months.
The torpedoes will be manufactured at BDL Visakhapatnam unit, in collaboration with the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO). BDL has a dedicated unit at Visakhapatnam for manufacturing underwater warheads.
• Varunastra is basically a ship-launched, electrically-propelled underwater weapon equipped with one of the most advanced automatic and remote-controlled guidance systems.
• The weapon system uses its own intelligence in tracing the target. It can hit stealth submarines underwater.
• Varunastra is seven to eight metres long, weighs 1,500 kg and has a diameter of 533 mm.
• The anti-submarine electric torpedo when fired can travel at 40 knots, or 74 kmph. The operational range is 40 km and it can carry a warhead weighing 250 kg.
• The weapon has been jointly developed by the Naval Science and Technology Laboratory (NTSL), Visakhapatnam and the Bharat Dynamics Limited -BDL (Hyderabad).
Military Products by BDL
NAG: A third Generation (Fire and Forget) mechanized infantry ATGM, with top attack capability to destroy armored vehicle equipped with Explosive Reactive Armour, moving and stationary targets.
Akash: It is an indigenously developed, an all – weather, air defence weapon system, uses a high explosive, pre-fragmented warhead that can engage multiple threats simultaneously.
MRSAM (Medium Range Surface to Air Missile): A high response, quick reaction, vertically launched supersonic missile, designed to neutralize enemy aerial threats – missiles, aircraft, guided bombs, helicopters. Used by Army, Navy and Air Force as different variants.
Varunastra: A ship launched, electrically propelled underwater weapon. Equipped with the most advanced automatic and remote controlled guidance system. Uses its own intelligence in tracing the target.
Milan 2T: It is a man portable (Infantry) second generation ATGM, to destroy Tanks fitted with Explosive Reactive Armour, moving and stationary targets.
Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL), a Government of India Enterprise under the Ministry of Defence was established in Hyderabad in the year 1970 to be a manufacturing base for guided missiles and allied defence equipment. Begun with a pool of engineers drawn from DRDO and aerospace industries, BDL began by producing a first generation anti-tank guided missile – the French SS11B1.
BDL has three manufacturing units, located at Kanchanbagh, Hyderabad, Telangana; Bhanur, Medak district, Telangana and Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh. Two New Units are planned at Ibrahimpatnam, Ranga Reddy district,Telangana and Amravati, Maharashtra.