Weekly Current Affairs Quiz: 26 August to 01 September 2019
The week’s updated quizzes cover the topics like Bank Reforms, Indian Railways, National Sports Day, Polavaram Project among others.
26 August to 01 September 2019: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise at ease. The week’s updated quizzes cover the topics like Bank Reforms, Indian Railways, National Sports Day, Polavaram Project among others.
1. Which three banks will be merged into a single entity to form the 2nd largest bank of India?
a) PNB, OBC & United Bank of India
b) Indian Bank, OBC, Syndicate Bank
c) Allahabad Bank, Canara Bank & PNB
d) PNB, Corporation Bank & Bank of India
2. Which nation has launched its own Space Command?
c) United States
3. Who among the following cricketers has come out of his retirement and made himself available for all formats?
a) Shoaib Malik
b) Yuvraj Singh
c) Ambati Rayudu
d) Hashim Amla
4. Which telecom company topped the telecom market with the highest revenue share in the April-June quarter?
d) Vodafone Idea
5. The Indian Railways has decided to offer how much discount in its AC Chair car trains like Shatabdi, Tejas?
a) 30 percent
b) 25 percent
c) 15 percent
d) 20 percent
6. Who has become the first IPS officer to be honoured with the prestigious Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award 2018?
a) Manikandan K
b) Prabhat Raju Koli
c) Wangchuk Sherpa
d) Aparna Kumar
7. When is the National Sports Day observed every year in India?
a) 27th August
b) 28th August
c) 29th August
d) 30th August
8. Andhra Pradesh government recently announced that the Polavaram Project work will be resumed from November 2019. The project runs on which river?
9. Which State Government recently announced that it will waive water arrears of people who live in colonies categorised as E, F, G and H?
10. Which country recently requested the United Nations to call back all peacekeepers from the country by June 2020?
1. (a) PNB, OBC & United Bank of India
Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on August 30, 2019 announced the merger of several banks under the Bank Consolidation plan. Punjab National Bank, Oriental Bank of Commerce, United Bank of India will be merged as one single entity. Punjab National Bank will be the anchor bank.
2. (c) United States
US President Donald Trump launched the US Space Command on August 29, 2019. Trump announced the establishment of the space command as the newest US military combatant command in a ceremony at the Rose Garden, White House.
3. (c) Ambati Rayudu
Ambati Rayudu, who had announced his retirement on July 3, made a u-turn and said that he would like to come out of retirement on August 30, 2019. Ambati Rayudu wrote a letter to Hyderabad Cricket Association (HCA), in which he said, “I would like to bring to your notice that I would like to come out of retirement and play cricket in all formats.”
4. (b) Jio
Reliance Jio has topped the telecom market with a 31.7 percent market share in the second quarter (April-June) of 2019. Bharti Airtel has regained its second spot, leaving behind Vodafone Idea, the revenue of which plunged substantially.
5. (b) 25 percent
Indian Railways is set to offer up to 25 percent discount on trains such as Shatabdi Express, Tejas and Gatimaan Express, as per a senior official. The move is a result of the stiff competition faced by the Indian railways from low-cost airlines.
6. (d) Aparna Kumar
IPS Officer Aparna Kumar will be honoured with the Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award 2018 in the ‘Land adventure’ category. Aparna Kumar is a 2002 batch IPS officer from the Uttar Pradesh Cadre. She is the first IPS officer to be honoured with the prestigious Tenzing Norgay Award.
7. (C) 29th August
National Sports Day is observed every year on 29 August to mark the birth anniversary of Major Dhyan Chand, the legendary hockey player who was born on August 29, 1905. Dhyan Chand was one of the greatest field hockey players of all time.
8. (b) Godavari
Andhra Pradesh government announced that the construction works relating to the Polavaram project will taken up again from November 2019, after the rainy season. Under the Polavaram project, a dam is being constructed across the Godavari River in West & East Godavari Districts of Andhra Pradesh.
9. (c) Delhi
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal announced to waive water arrears of consumers who live in E, F, G and H colonies and have functional domestic water meters. In Delhi, colonies are categorized from A to H.
10. (b) Sudan
Sudan requested the United Nations Security Council to lift its suspension of troop withdrawals and ensure all peacekeepers leave Darfur by June 2020. Omer Mohamed Siddig, Sudan’s U.N. Ambassador, informed the council that it’s time to shift from peacekeeping to peace-building in Darfur.