US Open 2019: Rafael Nadal and Bianca Andreescu lift the titles
Rafael Nadal overcame Daniil Medvedev in five breathtaking sets to claim his 19th grand slam title.
Rafael Nadal won his 19th Grand Slam title by winning the US Open final, defeating Daniil Medvedev 7-5, 6-3, 5-7, 4-6, 6-4 to seize his fourth crown in New York. Spain’s star tennis player Rafael Nadal (33) is one behind of Roger Federer’s 20 Grand Slam triumphs. Rafael Nadal clinched his 5th grand slam title since turning 30, surpassing Federer, Novak Djokovic, Rod Laver and Ken Rosewall, who all won four titles.
On the other hand, in women’s championship, Bianca Andreescu (19) captured the title, defeating 23-time major champion Serena Williams. Bianca defeated her with a rollercoaster 6-3, 7-5 win. Now, Bianca Andreescu has become the youngest Grand Slam winner since Maria Sharapova at the 2006 US Open.
About Rafael Nadal
• Rafael Nadal was born on 3 June 1986. He is a spanish professional tennis player.
• He is popularly known as “The Kind of Clay.”
• He has won 19 Grand Slam singles titles and 2008 Olympic gold medal in singles.
• Nadal won the 9 French Open titles in his first 10 attempts. He was just 19 when he won his first French open title.
• Rafael Nadal won three grand slam titles (2008, 2010, 2017) won without losing a set.
• He is the only male player to win an Olympic gold medal in singles and an Olympic gold medal in doubles in two separate Olympics.
• Nadal was named the Laureus World Sportsman of the Year in 2011.
About Bianca Andreescu
• She was born on 16 June 2000. She has become first Canadian to win a Grand Slam title.
• She has defeated 23 times Grand Slam winner Serena Williams in US Open 2019.
• She is youngest Canadian (19) women tennis player to win US Open ever.
• Bianca Andreescu has won three tournament wins, the Rogers Cup, US Open and Indian Wells titles this year.
• Earlier this year, she was ranked 152 but after winning US Open she is now ranked 15th.
About US Open
It is a hard court tennis tournament. It is the fourth and the final tennis major event of Grand Slam. Apart from this, other three grand slams are the French Open, the Australian Open and the Wimbledon. It is owned and organized by the United States Tennis Association (USTA). The US Open is the only Grand Slam that employs tiebreakers in every set of a match.