Indian Army orders for Israeli anti-tank Spike missiles
Before this decision of Indian Army, central government has allowed armed forces to make emergency purchases.
Indian Army has placed an order for Israeli anti-tank Spike missile. This missile is known for its ability like it can pierce even bunkers. Another major advantage of this missile is that it can hit targets at a range of four kilometers.
Before this decision of Indian Army, central government has allowed armed forces to make emergency purchases. This power was given to armed forces after Pulwama attack in which 40 CRPF jawans were killed.
Major Features of Spike Missile
• Rafael Advanced Defense Systems Ltd. has manufactured Israeli Spike missiles. Missile is known for its ability to pierce bunkers.
• Spike missile can be placed in both mountains and plains; it has an ability to target anything from four kilometers.
• Spike missiles have automatic self-guidance system. It also possess imaging infrared system.
• This missile is designed in a way to target and decimate heavily armored vehicles along with enemy military tanks.
• Australia, Nethersland, England, Belgium, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Singapore and South Korea are already using Spike missiles.
Emergency Powers to Army
• Just after the Pulwama attack, center government has approved the emergency powers to the all three armed forces to buy whatever emergency equipment is required to safeguard the borders.
• As per these emergency powers armed forces can buy the equipment of their choice within three months at the cost of up to Rs 300 crore.
• The Air Force has also shown interest in the acquisition of certain missiles from the international market which would help it in meeting requirements, in case of hostilities on borders.