India declared open-defecation free
India declared ODF: PM Modi declared that in 60 months, we have been able to provide 11 crore toilets to over 60 crore people.
India declared ODF: Prime Minister Narendra Modi declared India open defecation free on October 2, 2019, on Mahatma Gandhi’s 150th birth anniversary. The Prime Minister said that rural India had itself declared itself open defecation free.
The Prime Minister made the much-awaited announcement during a special programme, organised at Sabarmati in Ahmedabad. PM Modi declared that India amazed the world by building almost 11 crore toilets for about 60 crore people in just a period of 60 months under the massive, Swachh Bharat Mission.
The Prime Minister said that Swachh Bharat Mission made it possible for each household to have a toilet unlike before. He said that toilet, which was non-existent earlier in most households, has now become an important part of each house and its importance has been increasingly been realised, especially in rural areas.
PM Modi speech on Swachh Bharat Mission success: Key Highlights
– The world is stunned by our success. The whole world is praising, respecting and awarding us for the success of the Swachh Bharat Mission.
– In 60 months, we have been able to provide 11 crore toilets to over 60 crore people. Hearing this the world is amazed.
– For me, seeing girl children going to school without having any worry is bigger than any number or praise.
– I am satisfied and happy to hear that through the success of the mission, crores of women have been freed from the pain of waiting till dark.
– I am happy about the fact that now people will be free of hygiene-related diseases, which led to the death of many women.
– I am also happy that now the poor will not have to spend much on treatment for diseases and infections that come as a result of a lack of sanitation.