Current Affairs in Short: 16 August 2019
Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar has announced that a massive campaign will be launched to make India free of single-use plastic.
Four New Products get GI Tag
• PalaniPanchamirtham from Palani Town in Dindigul District of Tamil Nadu State, Tawlhlohpuan and Mizo Puancheifrom the state of Mizoram and Tirur Betel leaf from Kerala are the latest additions to the list of registered GIs.
• GI tag is an indication used on products that have a specific geographical origin and possess qualities or a reputation that are due to that origin.
• It can help the rural economy in remote areas, by supplementing the incomes of artisans, farmers, weavers and craftsmen.
Prakash Javadekar announces launch of campaign to make India free of single-use plastic
• Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar has announced that a massive campaign will be launched to make India free of single-use plastic.
• He made this announcement at Sau Paulo in Brazil, after Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his Independence Day speech urged people to shun single-use plastic. Javdekar also announced that ministry will encourage use of jute and cloth bags to protect the environment.
• Javdekar said that a series of meetings will be held with all stakeholders including state governments to chalk out a concrete plan to make it a people’s campaign to realise the ultimate target.
All 24 Indian crew members aboard seized Iranian ship released
• All the 24 Indian crew members aboard an Iranian oil tanker were released by Gibraltar authorities and allowed to return to India.
• The Iranian tanker is being held on suspicion of smuggling oil to Syria in breach of European Union sanctions.
• Minister of State for External Affairs, V Muraleedharan said in a tweet last evening that he spoke to Indian High Commission in London and they confirmed that the Indian crew aboard VLCC Grace 1 had been released.
Assam govt will develop over 300 tourist spots
• The Assam government has taken steps to develop over 300 tourist spots to attract more tourists.
• Toilet, waste management, drinking water and waiting shades to be built or develop across the state in important locations.
• The prime aim of this initiative is to provide better infrastructure to the tourists visiting Assam. Every year lakhs of domestic and foreign tourists throng Assam to visit the Kamakhya temple, Kaziranga national park, Majuli among others.