Current Affairs in Short: 14 January 2020
• The Shanghai Corporation Organization (SCO) has included the Statue of Unity in its eight wonders of the SCO list. Foreign Minister S. Jaishankar tweeted about this.
• Statue of Unity’s inclusion in SCO’s list of eight wonders also means that now SCO itself will promote the world’s highest statue in member countries.
• The Statue of Unity is the 182-meter tall statue of the country’s first home minister Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel. It is the tallest statue in the world. This statue is located near Sardar Sarovar Dam on river Narmada in Kevadia Colony in Gujarat.
Iran’s only female Olympic medalist Kimia Alizadeh announces defection
• Iran’s only female Olympic medal winner, Kimia Alizadeh, recently announced on Instagram that she is leaving the country forever.
• Kimia Alizadeh has won an Olympic bronze medal during Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
• She wrote that she has experienced a lot of political exploitation and finally she has decided to take this decision.
World Bank predicts Sri Lanka’s economic growth at 3.3 pct for 2020
• The World Bank forecasts Sri Lanka’s GDP below four percent in the next three years. World Bank also estimated a growth rate of Sri Lanka at 3.3 percent.
• World Bank’s Global Economic Prospects for 2021 and 2022 predicts that Sri Lanka’s GDP will remain low in the next coming years.
• Sri Lanka’s growth rate dipped below 3 percent after terrorist attacks held on easter last year. However, President Gotabaya Rajapaksa announced that achieving a 6.5 percent economic growth per annum from 2020 is his target.