Current Affairs in Short: 14 August 2019
Swachh Survekshan Grameen was launched by Jal Shakti Minister Gajendra Singh Shekhawat.
Krishna Wildlife Sanctuary land to be extended
• Forest Department has recently identified around 300 hectares of revenue land for inclusion in the Krishna Wildlife Sanctuary.
• The land is being diverted as compensation, for setting up a new Missile Test Launch Facility by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
• Krishna Wildlife Sanctuary is a part of the mangrove wetland in Andhra Pradesh and is located in the coastal plain of Krishna delta, spread across Krishna and Guntur districts of Andhra Pradesh.
India contributes 1 million USD to UN Fund
• India has contributed one million US Dollars to the United Nations Special Purpose Trust Fund for the Resident Coordinator System.
• India’s Permanent Representative to the UN Ambassador Syed Akbaruddin tweeted that India is happy to tangibly contribute to reform of the UN Development System.
• Special Purpose Trust Fund is a specific fund established to receive, consolidate, manage all contributions and financial transactions of the new Resident Coordinator system in a transparent and effective way.
Jal Shakti Ministry launches Swacch Survakshan Grameen
• Swachh Survekshan Grameen was launched by Jal Shakti Minister Gajendra Singh Shekhawat. The aim of this survey is to accelerate the momentum of Swachhta Abhiyan.
• In the previous edition of this survey 1.5 crore, people had participated in the survey through a mobile application and aim of the government is to take it now to three crore people.
• Swachhata activities have also been planned at around 87 thousand public places where community meetings will be organized.
World Biofuel day observed
• World Biofuel Day is observed to create awareness about the importance of non-fossil fuels as an alternative to conventional fossil fuels.
• The theme of this year’s Biofuel Day is – Production of Bio-diesel from Used Cooking Oil.
• The day is aimed at reducing dependency on bio-fuel and adopting alternative sources of energy and effective management of used cooking oil.
World Sanskrit Divas 2019
• World Sanskrit Divas 2019 will be observed on 15 August 2019 this year. It is celebrated every year on Shravana Purnima that is on full moon day in the month of Shravana according to the Hindu calendar.
• It was first time celebrated in 1969 and is a day full of seminars and events talking about the importance and positive points about Sanskrit.
• Sanskrit is known as the first Indian language which developed several other branches like Tamil, Hindi, etc.