Current Affairs in Short: 13 August 2019
Madame Tussauds Singapore announced the launch of late legendary actor Sridevi’s wax figure on the occasion of her 56th birth anniversary.
Madame Tussauds Singapore to honour late Bollywood superstar Sridevi with wax statue
- Sridevi: On the occasion of Sridevi’s 56th birth anniversary, Madame Tussauds Singapore announced the launch of her exclusive wax figure as a tribute to the late legendary actor.
- The one-of-its-kind wax figure has been created posthumously by a team of 20 skilled artists who worked closely with Sridevi’s family, trying to replicate her exact pose, expressions, make-up and outfit from her icon song Hawa Hawai.
- The wax figure will be officially unveiled in early September by Sridevi’s husband Boney Kapoor and her daughters Janhvi Kapoor and Khushi Kapoor.
- The statue would be placed in the Ultimate Film Star Experience (UFSE) zone with a special memorial wall where the fans can leave their tribute messages.
List of those excluded from final Assam NRC be published only online on Aug 31: SC
- The Supreme Court directed on August 13, 2019 that the list of those excluded from the final Assam NRC be published only online on August 31.
- The apex court bench comprising CJI Ranjan Gogoi and Justice R F Nariman stated that like Aadhaar data, an appropriate regime will be enacted to secure the Assam NRC data.
- The top court also said that the ongoing NRC exercise cannot be ordered to be reopened on the basis of certain legal challenges raised before it. The Supreme Court had earlier said that the final Assam NRC would be published on or by August 31.
SC refuses to seek status report on cases against Unnao rape survivor, family members
- The Supreme Court on August 13, 2019 refused to direct the UP government to file a report regarding the status of 20 cases that were registered against the Unnao rape survivor and her family members.
- The apex court bench comprising Justices Deepak Gupta and BR Gavai stated that they don’t want to interfere in other cases lodged against them in the state.
- The court was informed by an advocate that proceedings in the four cases, which were transferred to Delhi are being held on a day-to-day basis before a special court. The SC bench stated that it would hear the Unnao case again on August 19.
Karnataka rebel MLAs move SC seeking urgent hearing of plea challenging disqualification
- The Supreme Court on August 13, 2019 asked the Karnataka rebel Congress-JD(S) MLAs to submit a memo to the registrar for urgent listing of their plea challenging their disqualification from the Karnataka assembly.
- The SC bench headed by Justice Arun Mishra directed senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi, appearing on behalf of the rebel MLAs to give the memo to the registrar for urgent listing of their plea.
- Overall, 17 rebel MLAs were disqualified from the Karnataka state assembly ahead of the July 29 floor test moved by the then Karnataka CM H D Kumaraswamy. Kumaraswamy lost the trust vote, paving the way for BS Yediyurappa-led BJP to form government in the state.
South Korea to remove Japan from its “white list”
- South Korea has decided to remove Japan from its 29-country “white list”. The announcement was made by South Korean Trade Minister Sung Yun-mo on August 12, 2019.
- The “white list” comprises the list of nations receiving preferential treatment from South Korea in trade. Japan’s removal from the list is being seen as a retaliation to Japan’s recent decision to downgrade South Korea’s trade status.
- The South Korean Trade Minister Sung Yun-mo stated that the government had decided to remove Japan from its preferred trade list due to its failure to uphold international principles while managing its export controls on sensitive materials.
Ireland women’s cricket team makes record of highest opening stand, highest T20I team score
- Ireland women’s cricket team made two records in their T20I Quandrangular series game against Netherland on August 12.
- The Ireland team elected to bat and put up a record high opening stand of 112 runs in the T20Is. The team also made the record of highest Ireland Women’s T20I team score with a total of 213-4.
- The total was the second-highest T20I team score for Ireland (men or women) and the seventh-highest team score in women’s T20I history.