Current Affairs in Short: 10 October 2019
Austrian author Peter Handke has been awarded the 2019 Nobel Prize for Literature.
Olga Tokarczuk, Peter Handke won Nobel Prize for Literature for 2018 and 2019
• Norwegian Nobel Committee awarded Olga Tokarczuk with the 2018 Nobel Prize in Literature.
• On the other hand, Austrian author Peter Handke was awarded the 2019 Nobel Prize for Literature.
• The Nobel Prize in Literature was postponed for the first time in 70 years in 2018 due to the sexual assault scandal wherein Katarina Frostenson, one of the Academy members resigned due to the sexual assault charges against her husband Jean-Claude Arnault.
• The Nobel Prize in Literature is regarded as the most celebrated award in the literary world.
Union HRD Ministry launches Pradhan Mantri Innovative Learning Programme – DHRUV
• Union Minister of Human Resource Development Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ on October 10, 2019, launched the Pradhan Mantri Innovative Learning Programme –DHRUV to motivate talented children to enhance their skills.
• The Programme was launched from the headquarters of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) at Bengaluru.
• Under the programme, the selected students will be named as “Dhruv Tara”.
• The programme reflects the true spirit of the “Ek Bharat Shreshth Bharat”.
President Ram Nath Kovind presents Colour to Army Aviation Corps
• President Ram Nath Kovind on October 10, 2019, presented the Colour to the Army Aviation Corps, Nashik.
• The president acknowledged the contributions of the Army Aviation Corps and said that it has earned over 200 honours and awards till date for its distinguished services.
• Army Aviation Corps served the United Nations Peace Keeping Missions in countries like Somalia and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
• The President also visited the School of Artillery at Deolali.
SBI reduces lending rates by 10 basis points
• The State Bank of India (SBI) reduced the lending rates by ten basis points.
• The Bank also revised the savings rate by 25 basis points for the deposits under Rs 1 lakh.
• This new Marginal Cost Of Funds-Based Lending (MCLR) rate will be effective from October 10, 2019.
• The savings bank deposits rates will be effective from November 1, 2019.
Minister Piyush Goyal to attend 9th RCEP Intersessional Ministerial Meeting
• Union Commerce Minister Piyush Goyal will be attending the 9th RCEP Intersessional Ministerial meeting at Bangkok in Thailand.
• The meeting will be held on October 11, 2019, and it will be the last Ministerial meeting before the 3rd Leaders Summit that is scheduled to be held on November 4, 2019, in Bangkok.
• This 9th Intersessional Ministerial Meeting comes at the time when the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) will be announced as concluded in November 2019.
• Out of the total 25 chapters, 21 chapters have already been concluded. Only chapters of Investment, Electronic Commerce, Trade Remedies and Rules of Origin are left for settlement.