Current Affairs in Short 04 July 2019
The economic survey states that in adoption of 2030 global agenda, countries are moving forward for achieving a world free from poverty.
IMF board approves USD 6 billion loan package for Pakistan
• The International Monetary Fund Executive board approved a three-year, USD 6 billion loan package for Pakistan to rein in mounting debts and stave off a looming balance of payments crisis, in exchange for tough austerity measures.
• Board approval will allow immediate disbursement of around USD 1 billion, with the remainder to be phased in over the period of the programme, subject to quarterly review.
• Pakistan is facing significant economic challenges on the back of large fiscal and financial needs and weak and unbalanced growth.
NASA successfully detects asteroid just before it hit Earth, exploded in sky
• NASA has recently spotted an asteroid that was racing towards the Earth before it broke up in the atmosphere.
• The US space agency has released new details of the discovery of a mysterious flash in Earth’s atmosphere over the Carribean Sea.
• A team of astronomers combed through data from the University of Hawaii’s ATLAS survey telescope and found that NASA’s planetary defence system successfully spotted 310,000 miles from Earth.
Jammu and Kashmir’s First Investors Summit
• The Government of J&K is organising the first ever investment summit in September-October 2019 in Jammu and Srinagar.
• Its objective is to attract investment and counter perceptions about the State. There is possibility of participation from at least eight countries besides the rest of India.
• The tourism, horticulture and handicrafts are the strong sectors where good investment is expected. The government is also focusing on power sector and manufacturing.
Longest Electrified Railway Tunnel commissioned
• The South Central Railway (SCR) had commissioned the longest electrified tunnel of 6.6 km between Cherlopalli and Rapuru stations in the state of Andhra Pradesh.
• The tunnel is part of the recently completed Obulavaripalli-Venkatachalam new railway line. The new line also facilitates direct and viable connectivity between South Coast and West Coast.
• It also opens up the viable rail connectivity between Krishnapatnam Port and its hinterland for freight train services.
India follows a holistic approach towards its 2030 Sustainable Development Goals
• The economic survey states that in adoption of 2030 global agenda, countries are moving forward for achieving a world free from poverty, gender inequality and economic inequality and thereby ensuring a healthy planet for future generations.
• India follows a holistic approach towards its 2030 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by launching various schemes. India’s SDG Index Score ranges between 42 and 69 for States and between 57and 68 for UTs.
• Kerala and Himachal Pradesh are the front runners amongst all the States with a score of 69, Chandigarh and Puducherry are the front runners with a score of 68 and 65 respectively among the UT’s, the Survey states.