Uttar Pradesh UPPSC Previous Papers (General Studies GS Paper-1) -1991
1. The word ‘Satyamev Jayate’ has been taken from-
(b) Bhagavad Gita
(c) Rig Ved
(d) Mundaka Upanishad
2. Which one of the following is the initial branch of Indian philosophy?
(a) Samkhya (b) Mimamsa
(c) Specialty (d) Charbak
3. The Buddha’s teachings are related to
(a) Self-relating dispute
(c) Religious rituals
(d) Practices and sanctity of conduct
4. Which ruler has won Malwa, Gujarat and Maharashtra for the first time-
(b) Skand Gupta
(d) Chandragupta Maurya
5. The Kushan Prince Kanishka became ruler in the year
(a) 178 B.C. (b) 101 A.D.
(c) 58 B.C. (d) 78 AD
6. Which ruler has built Stupa of Sanchi?
(a) Bimbisar (b) Ashoka
7. Ramanujacharya is related to
(c) vishisht advaitavaad
8. The Kandariya Mahadev temple of Khajuraho was built by-
(a) Parmar (b) Chad
9. In which of the following area the state of Cholas was exist-
(a) Vijayanagar area
(b) Malabar Coast
(d) Coromandel Coast, parts of the Deccan
10. Meenakshi Temple is located at
(a) Tanjore (b) Mekhla
11. Which South Indian state had the best village administration-
(a) Cher (b) Chalukya
(c) Chol (d) Vanspi
12. The capital of Chalukya was-
(a) Vanspi (b) Shravasti
(c) Kanchi (d) Kannauj
13. Who was the greatest ruler of the Chalukya dynasty?
(c) Pulcchein II
(d) Pulakeshin I
14. Which of the fol lowing Chandel ruler was not defeated by Mahmoud Ghajnavi-
(a) Shank (b) Vidyaradra
(c) Jashakti (d) Dung
15. The Dilwara Jain temple located at-
(b) Uttar Pradesh
(d) Madhya Pradesh
16. During the reign of which ruler Ibnbatuta travelled to India?
(a) Muhammad bin Tughluq
(b) Sikandar Lodi
(c) Firoj Tughlaq
(d) Allauddin Khilji
17. In Sultanate period, most of the rich and the Sultans had belong to which class-
(a) Turkish (b) Mongol
(c) Tatar (d) Arab
18. Sindh was conquered by Muhammad-bin-Qasim in the year of
(a) 713 AD (b) 716 AD
(c) 712 AD (d) 719 AD
19. Who was the court historian of Mahmud Ghazni-
(a) Hassan Nizami
20. The slave of Mohammad Ghori who conquered Bengal and Bihar ?
(a) Qutubuddin Aibak
(c) Bakhtiyar Khaliji
21. Which famous historian gave the statement ‘An event . victory without Result’ in the context of victory over Sindh of the Arabs?
(a) Vincent Smith
(d) Max Mular
22. The tomb of which Mughal ruler is not in India-
23. The first Vedhshala Jantar . Mantar was established by Sawai Raja Jay Singh at?
24. The ‘Asht Pradhan’ cabinet was in the era of –
(b) Krishna Deva Rai
(c) Peshwa Bajirao
25. Who has implemented the istmarari settlement-
(b) Warren Hastings
(c) Lord Carnavalis
(d) Lord Dufferin
26. During the revolt of 1857, who was the British Prime Minister-
(c) Bar Attlee
27. The Oudh State was merged with British Empire during the time of Dalhousie on the basis of
(a) Mis-Government Charges
(b) State defalcate policy
(c) Subsidiary alliance
(d) None of these
28. Hindustan Socialist Republic Association was established by
(a) Veer Savarkar
(b) Udham Singh
(c) Bhagat Singh
(d) Chandrasekhar Azad
29. Who established the judicial organization in India?
(a) Lord Mayo
(b) Lord Cornwallis
(c) Lord Attlee
(d) Lord Curzon
30. Who said “Nehru is a nation devotee while Jinnah is politician”?
(a) Sardar Patel
(b) Mohammed Iqbal
(c) Mahatma Gandhi
(d) Maulana Azad
31. The twin principles of Mahatma Gandhi’s Ram Rajya were?
(a) Correct and correct goals
(b) Untouchabili ty and alcohol prohibition
(c) Khadi and Charkha
(d) Truth and non-violence
32. Who among the following was not related to the Swaraj Party?
(a) Motilal Nehru
(d) Vithal Bhai Patel
33. The Jallianwala Bagh massacre took place in the year of ?
(a) April 13, 1918
(b) April 13, 1919
(c) April 23, 1921
(d) April 13, 1920
34. Who was the political guru of Mahatma Gandhi?
(a) C.R. Das
(b) Dada Bhai Naoroji
(d) Gopal Krishna Gokhale
35. Who was related to ‘Bahiskrit Bharat’?
(a) Atram Padorang
(b) Jyotiba Phule
(c) Bal Gangadhar Tilak
(d) B. R. Ambedkar
36. Gandhi -Irwin accord was signed to stop
(a) Quit India Movement
(b) Civil Disobedience Movement
(c) Non-Cooperation Movement
37. Who established the first independent Indian government in abroad?
(a) Barkat Ulla
(b) Subhash Chandra Bose
(c) Lala Hardayal
(d) Raja Mahendra Pratap Singh
38. The Lahore session of Indian National Congress was in the year of
(a) 1931 (b) 1929
(c) 1921 (d) 1930
39. Unification of Bengal took place in
(a) 1905 (b) 1908
(c) 1913 (d) 1912
40. Who gave this slogan ‘Swaraj is our birth right’?
(a) Gopal Krishan Gokhale
(b) Bal Gangadhar Tilak
(c) Mahatma Gandhi
(d) Chandrashekhar Azad
41. Who gave the slogan ‘Do or Die’?
(b) Jawaharlal Nehru
(c) Bhagat Singh
(d) Mahatma Gandhi
42. Who first started the Home Rule League movement?
(a) Annie Besant
(b) Sarojini Naidu
(c) Surendra Nath Banerjee
43. Who established the Indian National Congress?
(a) A.O. Hume
(b) Surendra Nath Banerjee
(c) Dada Bhai Naoroji
(d) Vyomesh Chandra Banerjee
44. Dada Bhai Nauroji usually known as –
(a) Punjab Kesari
(b) Gujarat Ratan
(d) Grand Old Man of India
45. The first split in the Indian National Congress took place in the year of ?
(a) 1907 (b) 1906
(c) 1969 (d) 1911
46. Who gave the slogan “Inquilab Zindabad”?
(a) Subhash Chandra Bose
(b) Muhammad Iqbal
(c) Ram Prasad Bismil
(d) Bhagat Singh
47. The oldest mountain in India is ?
48. Nagarjun Sagar Dam is located on the river?
49. The percent age of forest cover in India with respect to whole area is –
(a) 24.5 (b) 33
(c) 20 (d) 22
50. Which one of the following is the lowest rainfall place in India?
51. India is self-dependent in the production of mineral
(a) Tin (b) Silver
(c) Gold (d) Graphite
52. The Hazira Fertilizer Factory is based on
(b) Natural gas
(c) On the naptha
(d) On Coal
53. Which of the following state has highest population of tribes ?
(b) Madhya Pradesh
(d) Andhra Pradesh
54. Bokaro Steel Plant was established with the help of
(d) Soviet Union
55. Which is the smallest planet in the solar family?
(a) Pluto (b) Mars
(c) Venus (d) Mercury
56. Which is the closest planet to Earth –
(a) Moon (b) Venus
(c) Mars (d) Mercury
57. When does the solar eclipse occur –
(a) Fourth day on the moon
(b) New moon day
(c) Any day
(d) Full moon
58. What is marble?
(a) Sedimentary rock
(b) Floor blazer rock
(c) Converged rock
(d) Igneous rock
59. Suez canal connects
(a) Turan and Ontaria
(b) Bengal and Tripura
(c) Superior and Michigan
(d) Superior and Huron
60. The reason behind the origin of tidal waves in the oceans is –
(a) The effect of sun
(b) Earth’s rotating speed
(c) Combined effects of sun and moon
(d) Gravity, Centripetal Force and Centrifugal Force
61. Which is the world’s deepest trench –
62. What is the datum line?
(a) Horizontal line of sea level from which height and depth are measured
(b) Middle of primary and secondary data
(c) International date line
(d) An imaginary line located on 0° longitude
63. Kalgoorlie in Australia is famous for
(a) Gold production
(b) Better Climate
(c) Education Centre
64. Which of the following is the world’s sugar bowl?
(a) Cuba (b) Chile
(c) India (d) Havana
65. Which of the following country has highest production of Iron ore ?
(c) Soviet Union
66. Which country is famous as ‘country of Sunrise’?
67. Japan’s largest island is
68. Where is the second completely literate village in India situated ?
(a) Buddhapur; Delhi
(b) Adamapur; Bihar
(c) Balasore; Rajasthan
(d) Salempur; Uttar Pradesh
69. The most sparsely populated state of India in terms of population density is-
(d) Jammu Kashmir
70. The word ‘Secular in the preamble was added by the amendment of
(a) 42nd (b) 45th
(c) 51st (d) 43rd
71. Who was the President of the ‘Jhanda Samit i’ of the Const ituent Assembly of India?
(a) C. Rajagopalachari
(b) Dr. Rajendra Prasad
(c) J.B. Kriplanee
(d) Dr. B.R. Ambedkar
72. The ‘contingency fund’ can be spent by the President through ?
(a) Time of National Crisis
(b) After parliamentary approval
(c) Pre-Parliamentary approval
(d) Cannot spend
73. In constitution, the residuary powers are vested in the
(c) Union Cabinet
74. Vice Chairman of the Planning Commission, is equivalent to
(a) Vice President
(b) Minister of State
(c) Cabinet Minister
(d) Supreme Court
75. The solicitor general is ?
(a) Government Advocate
(b) The legal officer of the President
(c) Legal advisor
(d) Administrative Officer
76. The Chief Election Commissioner can be dismissed by
(a) Chief Justice of Supreme Court
(b) The President
(c) Proposal from the cabinet
(d) On the basis of misconduct cert ified by 2/3 majority of the members of both the houses of Parliament
77. On 2nd October 1959, the town in Rajasthan where Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, inaugurated the Panchayati Raj in India?
78. What do you think by closed economy?
(a) Export Closed
(b) Import-export closed
(c) Import Closed
(d) Controlled capital
79. The problem of small industries is ?
(a) Lack of capital
(b) lack of marketing information
(c) Lack of raw materials
(d) All of the above
80. The strategy for the development and industrialization of industries was part of the plan
81. In the taxes given below, Which one of the following is the direct tax –
(a) Income Tax
(b) Production tax
(c) Octroi tax
(d) Sales tax
82. The meaning of devaluation is
(a) Decrease in prices
(b) Decrease in currency value in terms of gold
(c) Increase in inflation
(d) Loss in National Character
83. Which type of mirror is used in the car for seeing the rear end?
(a) Concave mirror
(b) Cylinderical mirror
(c) Convex mirror
(d) Plane mirror
84. Long radio waves are reflected by which surface of the earth ?
(b) The Ionosphere
(c) Tropo phase
85. Which of the following plant does not have flower?
(a) Jackfruit (b) Gular
(c) Orchid (d) Fern
86. Who invented Polio vaccine?
(a) Alexander Fleming
(b) Jan Salk
(c) Robert Koch
(d) Edward Jenner
87. Which one of the following vitamin causes clotting of blood in human body ?
(a) Vitamin K (b) vitamin D
(c) Vitamin E (d) Vitamin C
88. What is the normal blood pressure of a healthy person?
89. Within how many days the infant should be vaccinated by BGC?
(a) 6 months
(b) Seven days
(c) Immediately after birth
(d) 48 days
90. Bright Disease affects the
(a) kidney (b) Spleen
(c) heart (d) Liver
91. Hysteria disease is generally found in
(a) Married women
(b) Old Women
(c) Young Women
(d) Young men, women
92. How does plant cell varies from animal cell?
(b) cell wall
(c) presence of protoplasm
(d) Cell Vibrant
93. Most of the digestion occure in which of the following organ of the body
(b) large intestine
(c) small intestine
94. The number of Chromosomes in the human body is ?
(a) 23 (b) 46
(c) 44 (d) 42
95. Which animal among the following is not able to digest the fibers?
(a) Goat (b) Cow
(c) Elephants (d) Pig
96. If water pollution continues with this speed, then finally-
(a) There is a obstacle in rainfall
(b) Water cycle will stop
(c) Nitrate will be unavailable for aquatic life
(d) Oxygen molecules will be unavailable for aquatic life
97. The habitat of ‘Tharu’ people is
(b) Uttar Pradesh
(c) Madhya Pradesh
98. The ‘Readiness for Accident’ statement is related to:
(a) George Bush
(b) Saddam Hussein
(c) World Health Organization
(d) State Road Transport Corporation
99. The central drug research institute is situated at
(a) Delhi (b) Shimla
(c) Lucknow (d) Hyderabad
100.Which of the fol lowing country did not send army in the Gulf war?
(a) Pakistan (b) China
(c) England (d) France
101.Winner of 1990 football World Cup is
(a) West Germany
(c) Soviet Union
102.The name of the operation by multinational army against Iraq is
(a) Operation Wood Rose
(b) Operation Desert Storm
(c) Operation Desert Field
(d) Operation Black Cobra
103.Whose birth centenary was celebrated in 1988?
(a) Charles Darwin
(b) Einstein’s theory of relativity
(c) Ramanujam, mathematician
(d) C.V. Raman discovered the Raman’s effect
104.After the attack on Kuwait, the new name given to the Kuwait by Iraq is
(a) Al-fetah (b) Kigjat
(c) Kajima (d) Musroom
105. The total number of members of World Health Organization’s on April -1991 was
(a) 176 (b) 166
(c) 146 (d) 156
106. Magellan spacecraft has been sent to the planet of –
(a) Pluto (b) Saturn
(c) Mars (d) Venus
107. John Major became the prime minister of Britain on?
(a) November 31, 1990
(b) November 28, 1990
(c) September 28, 1990
(d) December 28, 1990
108.The BJP withdrawn support to the National Front government on –
(a) November 23, 1990
(b) October 28, 1990
(c) October 23, 1990
(d) November 13, 1990
109.The Ninth Lok Sabha had been dissolved on –
(a) March 10, 1991
(b) March 16, 1991
(c) March 6, 1991
(d) March 2, 1991
110. United States satellite launch center is located at
(b) Lass Angels
(c) Cape Birdo
(d) Cape Kennedy
111. Mandal Commission report was presented in year
(a) 1990 (b) 1983
(c) 1980 (d) 1977
112. Which of the following is not a social ordinance?
(b) Anti Dowry Act
(c) Protection Imp. Civil Rights
(d) Prevention of Imperial Traffic Act
113. Alla Rakha is famous player of
114. Where is the National Rural Development Institute located?
(a) Patna (b) Delhi
(c) Hyderabad (d) Shimla
115.United Nations Proposal Number 660 deals with
(a) Unconditional return of Iraq from Kuwait
(b) Economic blockage of Iraq
(c) Iraq compensates Kuwait
(d) To destroy nuclear weapons
116. When the World Food and Agriculture Organization was established?
(a) 1964 (b) 1956
(c) 1947 (d) 1945
117. Where is the greatest potential of tidal energy in India?
118. The first woman to get the Jnanpith Award in the field of literature,
(a) Ashapoorna Devi
(b) Subhadra Wufmari Chahan
(c) Amrita Pritam
(d) Mahadevi Verma
119.Where is the Railway Staff College located?
(a) Madras (b) Baroda
(c) Allahabad (d) Hyderabad
120.First ‘India festival’ organised abroad at
(a) Britain, 1982
(b) France, 1958
(c) USA, 1980
(d) Soviet Union, 1983