I. Long Answer Questions
Instructions: Answer the following questions. Answer to each question should be in about 250 words. Each question carries 30 Marks.
1. How does the parliament exercise control over the Union Executive? How can it be made more effective?
2. Explain the ways of acquiring and losing Indian Citizenship.
3. Explain the right to freedom of religion as envisaged in the Indian Constitution.
4. Evaluate the position of the President of India.
5. Discuss the features of the party system in India.
6. Describe the procedure for the amendment of the Indian Constitution. What are the criticisms levelled against it?
7. Critically examine the extent to which the Directive Principles of State Policy have been implemented. What measures do you suggest for their better implementation?
8. Explain the principles of Indian foreign policy.
9. Critically examine the emergency powers of the Indian President.
10. Describe the relative roles of the Rajya Sabha and the Lok Sabha in the Indian Political System.
11. Explain the jurisdiction and powers of the Supreme Court.
12. The 80th and 88th Amendments have changed the centre-state financial relations. Explain the present position in this regard.
13. “The Indian Constitution is federal in form but unitary in spirit”. Discuss.
14. What is the need for promoting National Integration in India? What measures do you suggest in this regard?
15. Describe the various constitutional provisions for the protection and development of women and children in India.
16. What has been the controversy regarding the amendability of Fundamental Rights? What constitutes the ‘basic structure’ of the Constitution?
17. Explain the constitutional position of Jammu & Kashmir and its relationship with the Indian Union.
18. Describe the various changes made in the Constitution by the 42nd and 44th Amendment Acts.
19. What are the anti-defection provisions under the Constitution? What are the recommendations of the National Commission to Review the Working of the Constitution in this regard?
20. What is a coalition government? What has been its experience in India at the central level?
II. Short Answer Questions
Instructions: Answer the following questions. Answer to each question should be in about 150 words. Each question carries 15 Marks.
1. Describe the composition of the Constituent Assembly of India.
2. What are the constitutional provisions with respect to the reorganization of states?
3. How does the writ jurisdiction of the Supreme Court differ from that of a High Court?
4. How the Directive Principles differ from the Fundamental Rights?
5. Explain the role of regional parties in Indian Politics.
6. Describe the composition and functions of a State Public Service Commission.
7. Explain the ideals contained in the Preamble of the Indian Constitution.
8. Examine the functioning of Judicial Review in the Indian Political System.
9. “India is a secular state”. Explain.
10. Explain the six freedoms guaranteed under Article 19 of the Constitution.
11. What is meant by President’s Rule? Explain.
12. Critically examine the discretionary powers of a State Governor.
13. Describe the composition and functions of the National Commission for Women.
14. What are the unitary features of the Indian Constitution?
15. Explain the procedure for the impeachment of the President.
16. What are the functions of the Vice-President of India? How does he differ from the American Vice-President?
17. What are the special powers enjoyed by the Rajya Saba? What is its utility?
18. Describe the powers and functions of the Speaker of Lok Sabha.
19. What is a ‘cut motion’? What are its different kinds? What is its significance?
20. How is the State Legislative Assembly supreme over the State Legislative Council?
21. What is the composition of the Finance Commission? What are its functions?
22. Describe the features of the new Panchayati Raj System as introduced by the 73rd Amendment Act.
23. What is public opinion? Explain the agencies for its formation.
24. What is meant by ‘Martial Law’? What are the constitutional provisions in this regard?
25. What are the circumstances under which the Parliament can legislate on the State List subjects?
26. What is ‘Sovereignty of Parliament’? Is Indian Parliament a sovereign body?
27. What are the constitutional provisions with respect to the joint sitting of the two Houses of Parliament?
28. Describe the ordinance-making power of the President of India?
29. Who are linguistic minorities? What are the constitutional safeguards for them?
30. Describe the composition and functions of the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights.
III. Very Short Answer Questions
Instructions: Answer the following questions. Answer to each question should be in about 20 words. Each question carries 2 Marks.
1. What is meant by ‘Gujral Doctrine’?
2. What is the concept of ‘National Government’?
3. What is the significance of Article 355 of the Constitution of India?
4. What is the purpose of the Lok Adalats?
5. Distinguish between police custody and judicial custody.
6. What is meant by the ‘Doctrine of Pith and Substance’?
7. Why Rajya Sabha is known as a Permanent House?
8. What is meant by ‘Non-Alignment’?
9. Is the Constitution of India flexible or rigid?
10. What is the present position of the Right to Property?
11. Write the Directive Principles that were added by the Forty-Second Constitutional Amendment Act.
12. Who do not participate in the election of the President of India?
13. How is the Vice-President of India elected?
14. What are the different categories of ministers at the Union level?
15. What is meant by ‘Cabinet Dictatorship’?
16. What are the changes made in the constitution by the 42nd and 44th Amendment Acts with respect to the powers of the President in relation to the Central Council of Ministers?
17. What is the meaning of ‘Guillotine’?
18. Distinguish between Public Bill and Private Bill.
19. What are the qualifications of the judges of State High Courts?
20. What is meant by ‘Residuary Powers’?
21. What is the purpose of Family Courts?
22. What are the various types of elections held in India?
23. What is meant by ‘All-India Services’?
24. What is ‘Panchasheel’?
25. What are the functions of the Attorney-General of India?
26. What is meant by ‘Point of Order’?
27. What are the functions of the Zonal Councils?
28. What is first-past-the-post-system?
29. What is meant by ‘Money Bill’?
30. Describe the composition of the National Development Council.
I. Long Answer Questions