• essential facilities that need to be provided for everyone like healthcare, sanitation, electricity, public transport, schools, water supply, and colleges by government are called public facilities.
• important characteristic of a public facility is that once it is provided, its benefits can be shared by many people.
• One of most important functions of government is to ensure that these public facilities are made available to everyone.
• Public facilities relate to people’s basic needs.
• Any modern society requires these facilities so people’s basic needs are met.
• Right to Life, Constitution guarantees, is for all persons living in this country. responsibility to provide public facilities lies with government.
• government gets money from taxes to run public facilities.
• Water is essential for life and good health.
• India has one of largest numbers of cases of water-related diseases such as diarrhoea, dysentery, cholera.
• Constitution of India recognises Right to Water as being a part of Right to Life under Article 21.
• This means that it is right of every person, whether rich or poor, to have a sufficient amount of water to fulfil his/her daily needs at a price that he/ she can afford.
• There should be universal access to water.