Healthcare in India
• Health means our ability to remain free of illness and injuries.
• India has a large number of doctors, clinics, & hospitals.
• country has experience and knowledge in running a public healthcare system. public healthcare system is a system of hospitals and health centres run by government.
Private Healthcare Services
• Private health facilities are not owned or controlled by government.
• There is a wide range of private health facilities that exist in our country.
• A large number of doctors run their own private clinics.
• Registered Medical Practitioners [RMPs] can be found in rural areas.
• There are hospitals and nursing homes that are privately owned.
Public Healthcare Services
• Public Health Service is a chain of health centres and hospitals run by government. They are linked together so they cover both rural and urban areas and can provide treatment to all kinds of problems from common illnesses to special services.
• Primary Health Centre [PHC] covers many villages in rural areas. These centres are present at village levels.
• District Hospital supervises all health centres at district level.
• Large cities have government hospitals.
• health service is known as ‘public service’ because it fulfils its commitment of providing health care to all citizens, and government has established these hospitals and health centres.
• resources needed to run these services are obtained from money that public pay to government as taxes.
• public health system is meant to provide quality health care services either free or at a low cost so even poor can seek treatment.
• Our Constitution says that it is primary duty of government to ensure welfare of people and provide health care facilities to all.
• government must safeguard Right to Life of every person.